Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp notebook 17-y004ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to know about M.2 SSD slot of HP y-004ng for hardware upgrade.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It has one sort of. See page 50 of the Service Manual here:

Manual

You can use an M.2 disk (SATA only) but to do so you have to use an M.2 adapter sled and board:

Solid-state drive holder
858260-001
Solid-state drive board
856614-001

and put the M.2 sitting in the adapter sled in the hard drive slot instead of a hard drive. Such an arrangement would be no faster than just getting a 2.5 inch SATA SSD and installing that in lieu of the hard drive and you would need no extra, special hardware to do that so I say forget about the M.2.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It has one sort of. See page 50 of the Service Manual here:

Manual

You can use an M.2 disk (SATA only) but to do so you have to use an M.2 adapter sled and board:

Solid-state drive holder
858260-001
Solid-state drive board
856614-001

and put the M.2 sitting in the adapter sled in the hard drive slot instead of a hard drive. Such an arrangement would be no faster than just getting a 2.5 inch SATA SSD and installing that in lieu of the hard drive and you would need no extra, special hardware to do that so I say forget about the M.2.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Sir, for your kind information . This manual will be very helpful for me but I want to have additional SSD for better performance . That's why I asked about M.2 SSD slot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.