Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15-cr0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'd like to run a 2nd external monitor off my laptop.  The HDMI connected monitor is working fine but when I try to connect the 2nd montior through an USB-C to HDMI Adapter, I don't get any signal to the monitor.  I read somewhere that I might be able to use a simple USB-C to HDMi cable (no apapter) to get the monitor going.  Is that the case with my type of USB-C port?  If so, is there any particular USC-C to HDMI cable I need to get or will any do the job?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Rick2112,

Unfortunately, the USB-C port on your model is data transfer only therefore you can't get a signal through with a USB-C to HDMI adapter.

If you really want dual monitors, you can try using a USB to HDMI adapter, although I can't guarantee it'll be the most reliable.

I've recommended this model on the forum a few times and users have confirmed that it works relatively well.

Hope that helps.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Rick2112,

Unfortunately, the USB-C port on your model is data transfer only therefore you can't get a signal through with a USB-C to HDMI adapter.

If you really want dual monitors, you can try using a USB to HDMI adapter, although I can't guarantee it'll be the most reliable.

I've recommended this model on the forum a few times and users have confirmed that it works relatively well.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks what I figured.  The Belkin adapter we have in the office does not work but I''ll take a shot with what you recommended. 

HP Recommended

One other question, is there an HP Docking Station for my note book which would allow be to run the 2 external monitors striaght off HDMI and keep the the note book screen active as well?

HP Recommended

Hello @Rick2112,

As far as I know, HP doesn't offer a solution like that.

And while I was checking documentation relevant to your laptop to see if any useful accessories would show up, I found numerous USB-C adapters and cables that were incompatible with this model, unfortunately. 

Anyway, that aside, you can also opt for this HDMI splitter which will take your one HDMI port and split it into two. The things I do have to mention is that this will require that you plug in a separate power supply, so another thing to carry, and it will not extend the two monitors - you can only duplicate them. Note that I'm not completely confident that the USB adapter I listed above will extend your two monitors but there is at least a chance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.