Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7 6178us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hard drives Supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) hard drives in 12.7-mm (.50- in), 9.5-mm (.37-in), and 7.0-mm (.28-in) thicknesses

Supports 160-GB solid-state drive (solid-state drive)

Supports the following double hard drive configurations: ● 1 TB, 5400 rpm, 12.7 mm ● 750 GB, 7200 and 5400 rpm, 9.5 mm ● 640 GB, 7200 and 5400 rpm, 9.5 mm ● 500 GB, 7200 and 5400 rpm, 9.5 mm ● 320 GB, 7200 and 5400 rpm, 9.5 and 7.0 mm ● 250 GB, 7200 rpm, 9.5 and 7.0 mm

Can i put an SSD larger than 160gb in my laptop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes the Manual just lists the configurations in which HP sold the laptop at the time. Although not that long ago absolutely it was a long time ago in technology years and a 160 gig SSD back then was a novel and expensive thing. Not so now (as much). So yes you can install a 2 TB SATA 2.5 inch SSD if your budget permits. Post back with any other questions. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Yes the Manual just lists the configurations in which HP sold the laptop at the time. Although not that long ago absolutely it was a long time ago in technology years and a 160 gig SSD back then was a novel and expensive thing. Not so now (as much). So yes you can install a 2 TB SATA 2.5 inch SSD if your budget permits. Post back with any other questions. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much! My only other question relates to the dimensions of the new SSD. I understand that this laptop, like most others, uses 2.5inch hard drives with SATA connections. What about the dimensions of the Hard drive? Should I only watch out for the thickness? My assumption is that the dimensions listed in the manual speak about the thicknesses that it can support. Is everything else standardized?

Also, would this SSD be fine for my laptop?

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-275GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD5O/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=...

Additional info : I was told my motherboard (which was repaired) and my hard drive were damaged becuase of heat. I have to replace it. Since then I've gotten another laptop for work and travel, Im hoping to get another year out of my Dv7 atleast. I'll be using it to watch videos, play some games and sort of act like a laptop for non essential things (yes i know, those generate heat) but i'll have it on a cooling stand and monitor it closely. What i'm trying to say is, I don't think i'll need more than the 275Gbs. 

HP Recommended

SSDs and 2.5 inch hard drives are interchangeable physically. Same external dimensions although the SSD is likey to be 7 mm thick and the HDD is likely 9.5 (some are 7 mm) but they still fit in place of each other. Mounting hole and SATA connection placement is identical. I don't know how much I would be investing in a laptop with a history of overheating, but an SSD will produce much less heat than a HDD. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much! answered my questions perfectly. Yes, I am aware that I might be throwing some money away into an SSD for this, but the cooling fan is also for my new laptop. Aside from the cooling problem, that laptop was great. I'll prbly take a look back at HP and see if they've resolved some of their overheating issues the when Im going to buy a workhorse laptop. If not, i'll just have to get another brand. My 5 year plan sees me moving around a lot so a desktop wouldn't work, unfortunately. Regardless, that purchase is atleast 1 1/2 years away. Thanks again

HP Recommended

Look at the Black Friday deals. They have a Pavilion 17 inch with an i7 7th gen. 16 gigs of RAM, dedicated video and a 512 gig PCIe M.w SSD for $900. You will never see a better deal on something that is going to be a solid performer for years into the future. 

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-laptop--17t-touch-uhd-y7c72av-1?jumpid=bfs112416_topoffers_1_Y...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.