Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ60-210US lab
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hi.  I'm trying to find out for my brother if his Compaq Presario CQ60-210US laptop, which is running  a  Vista 32-bit OS, can be upgraded to a 64-bit version/editon of Windows like 7, 8/8.1 or 10?   As stated, the laptop's OS is  Vista 32-bit and I think its Vista Home Premium, but I'm not sure.  It has 4GB of RAM which is the max for a 32-bit OS.   I realize that you cannot do an in-place upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS and that a clean install will be necessary, but does anyone know if this laptop's hardware, BIOS etc. support 64-bit operating systems?  

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

That's from my view, up to you you can run 64bit or 32bit. Many sogtware still only run 32bit anyway.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP officially supports Windows Vista and Windows 7:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/Compaq-Presario-CQ60-Notebook-PC-series/3837670/mode...

Therefore very safe to upgrade to Windows 7.

It won't support more than 4GB, no point to run 64bit OS

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-CQ60-Notebook-PC-series/3837670/model/3860048/do...

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.   You said there's no point in running a 64-bit OS, but wouldn't it run even with the 4GB RAM limit?    I have a another laptop, a Dell Latitude D630 and I currently run Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on 4 gigs of RAM, although "it" will accept up to 8 gigs.  However,  an in-place upgrade from Vista 32-bit to 7 32-bit is easier than a clean install.   I just wanted to know if it was possible to run the 64-bit OS with the CQ60-210US hardware.  The owner of the laptop doesn't do a lot of precessor-demanding tasks, just checking e-mail,  some shopping and bill paying.   Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

That's from my view, up to you you can run 64bit or 32bit. Many sogtware still only run 32bit anyway.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.