Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-ab091ms (touch)
Linux

I have a laptop model Pavilion 17-ab091ms (touch), product number W2L92UA, and I would like to upgrade its storage to an SSD disk.

However, I am not sure if its motherboard supports M.2 NVMe or M.2 SATA III.

Which one should I buy, NVMe (preferred) or SATA III?

Does the Operating System is able to boot from this M.2 disk?

I would appreciate a lot if someone could help me.

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

20180106_160121.jpg

I have the same laptop and it does have an M.2 NVME slot, I am thinking of buying Samsung 970 PRO SSD 512GB - M.2 NVMe.Tell me if it worked with you.

UPDATE-I found a review on a website that says it doesn't support nvme.

khaledaladwar_0-1580519844725.png

Also, I found this in the product manual. This might mean that touch models don't support NVME.

I wish someone could confirm.

khaledaladwar_1-1580520788985.png

HP Recommended

@khaledaladwar
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that you have 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA hard drive installed on the PC.

To get the answer to this question, Yes! your computer supports both M.2 PCIe NVMe and M.2 SATA3,

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying this topic @Echo_Laje and @khaledaladwar

I'm also willing to buy the Samsung 970 PRO SSD 512GB, but according the product Maintenance and Service Guide  it seems that only non-touch screen products support NVMe. My laptop also has an M.2 slot available, but it is touch.

It would be great if we could get some information from HP or other customers about which motherboard model non-touch screen products are equipped with. So, we could compare and take the decision.

I am pretty unsure of what to do in this case, and that would help us a lot!

Thank you,

HP Recommended

@AlexandreHuff

Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It worked!

I installed Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB, It is compatible with HP Pavilion 17-ab091 and works perfectly.

Copying speed reached 1.2 GB/s and of course the drive resulted in an extremely fast boot and overall system performance.

2020-02-19_1-26-36.png

HP Recommended

It's great to know it!

Thanks for posting your experience.

I bought the Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SATA III a couple days ago.

I am running Linux on my laptop, and the command "lspci -vvv" reported that the motherboard of my  HP Pavilion 17-ab091ms (touch)  only has PCI-e x1, while NVM-e requires PCI-e x4. So, I thought that Samsung 970 EVO wouldn't work. 

@Khaledaladwar: Is your laptop touch?

Let's see if my drive is going to work too.

HP Recommended

@AlexandreHuff

I also found some similar findings using AIDA64, don't count on that as I think these software doesn't detect the slot properties if it's empty.

Yes, It's a touch laptop and Its product number is W2L92UA#ABA you can check yours via HP Support Assistant.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.