Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 360 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just updated the OS to 1909 (18363) and the Synaptics drivers do NOT include the option to disable the touchpad in any way.  The old drivers used to have an option to "Disable Touchpad when External Mouse is Connected",  but that option no longer exists.  

There is no option to disable the touchpad at all.  My touchpad does NOT include the "double-tap to disable".  

I have tried everything on this forum, including downloading the 1903 drivers, and editing the files, but this does not work. 

IS THERE A DRIVER AVAILABLE TO UPDATE THIS HARDWARE?  

I have followed EVERY suggestion, including updating the BIOS, removing/reinstalling the existing drivers, using Windows Update and searching the HP forum, but I have not been able to find a solution. 

Otherwise - is there another way to disable this touchpad?  

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@halfstone03 Greetings from the HP Community!

Here's a few things you can do:

• On Start , search for Device Manager, and select it from the list of results. Under Mice and other pointing devices, select your touchpad, open it, select the Driver tab, and select Update Driver. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

• If those steps didn't work, try uninstalling your touchpad driver: open Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) the touchpad driver, and select Uninstall. Restart your device and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

• If that didn't work, try using the generic driver that comes with Windows. Here's how: in Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) your touchpad driver > Update driver software... Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select HID compliant mouse, select Next, and follow the instructions to install it.

• If changing your driver doesn’t help, attempt a system restore and also check if you have a synaptics or an elan touchpad driver, report back to me with the results.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@theAeon Greetings from the HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Please get back to us with the details of the various steps you've attempted and exactly what you need, so we can help you get this sorted, accordingly.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Windows settings -> devices -> trackpad -> additional settings does not contain synaptics settings as of the latest update.

Short of removing the drivers, reinstalling them, and hiding the update, I'm not sure what else I can do. If we could get the drivers team on this that would be amazing.

HP Recommended

@theAeon I suggest you download and install the synaptics software using the Microsoft store: click here for details.

The same should help install the synaptics settings back on the device, so you can get back on it and make the necessary changes as per your preference.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

While this did work, I would appreciate if the drivers were fixed.

HP Recommended

@halfstone03

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

We will cascade he same issue to the concerned team so they can check on the driver issues

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.