Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 6 (3,288 Views)
Accepted Solution

Driver issues - can anyone help?

Product Name: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
The situation started when I tried to connect a disk drive from another laptop that had died, to my HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook, i7-2630QM, using a USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD cable I purchased from StarTech.com in order to recover some files. When I connected the cable to the usb 3.0 port the system tried to install the device driver but it was not successfully installed. When I looked into the matter with the Device Manager nothing shows up under disk drives except the internal drive; there is no usb mass storage device under the usb controllers category; instead it has an unknown device with yellow exclamation pt. and an ASMT1051 label with a yellow exclamation point due to a driver install failure. The device listed in the properties specified is c:\windows\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS. In looking for an answer to this condition I went online at Microsoft, Tom's hardware, and Seagate. Following some suggestions that the driver file may be corrupted, I deleted the driver file and rebooted the system. The driver file was reconstructed but no change ensued when I reinserted the cable. Updating the driver, uninstalling the device, etc also had no effect on the problem. All OS updates were also applied to my system.

I then contacted StarTech for some insight into the issue. On their Windows 7 machine the cable [without disk drive attached] worked fine but it didn't use this driver it used the disk.sys and partmgr.sys files. At their suggestion I tried connecting the cable to a Samsung netbook I had running a Win 7 Starter OS without the hard drive. The system detects the cable, installs the driver properly. the device manager sees the cable as a disk drive ASMT2115 usb device. The driver details for this device specifies c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys and partmgr.sys. Under the usb controllers besides the usb composite device it has a usb mass storage device. I also installed the cable on a friend's Windows 8.1 system successfully. This kind of eliminated the cable as the source of the problem.

After this I suspected the dv7 notebook had the problem. In searching the HP support website I found this post http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv7-6100-Quad-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-seri...

This post suggested uninstalling the usb root hubs and rebooting the system to alleviate the problem. Upon doing this I ran into multiple failures when rebooting.  I now still cannot successfully attach the hdd/usb cable, but I also no longer can log into the system using the fingerprint scanner, and I cannot use my usb connected HP laserJet printer.

I hope this dissertation isn't too disjointed for you to understand. Can you please help me with this issue? I would at least want to get the system back to where I can use my printer so I can print out my income tax forms and other documents. I also have a file which shows the Device Manager listing but I don't know how to attach the file to this post.

Thank you for reading.
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Driver issues - can anyone help?

You're very welcome.

There should be a support and driver page for your specific model dv7.

You would need to enter the product number in the applicable box at the link below, and then be directed to the support and driver page for your specific model notebook.

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en

Don't know the product number?   Please use this guide to find out.

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

If none of the usb ports are working along with the other problems, then the only suggestion I can offer would be to back up your files and do a system recovery to the factory specs.

It could be anything and it would probably take less time to do a system reset than to try and figure out the root cause of the issue.

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (3,270 Views)

Hi:

I would try connecting the drive to one of the USB 2 ports and see if it works.

Perhaps you need to reinstall the driver for the USB3 port from your specific model's support page.

Those dv7 models with the Intel second generation core processors can have one of 3 different USB3 manufacturers and unfortunately, I don't know which one your model has unless you know or can post the hardware ID for any device labeled USB Controller in the device manager.

Intern
Message 3 of 6 (3,264 Views)

Thanks for the reply

I have tried all 4 usb ports - 2 are 2.0 and 2 are 3.0. No difference in connecting the cable.

My main concern at this point is that trying out one of the suggestions listed on the HP site has caused additional driver issues where now I can't connect my usb HP laserjet printer, and the finger print scanner is not functioning any longer. And who knows what else isn't functioning at this point.

When I first got this laptop I couldn't burn a dvd because my laptop had a new driver for the unit. Once I regressed the driver to an older version it worked fine. I'm not sure where the issue lies with this driver business at this point. It'd be nice if there was an HP site that had all the drivers required for each unit so we could just go to one place for up-to-date drivers [that worked].

Thanks again the the suggestions.

Highlighted
Provost
Message 4 of 6 (3,257 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're very welcome.

There should be a support and driver page for your specific model dv7.

You would need to enter the product number in the applicable box at the link below, and then be directed to the support and driver page for your specific model notebook.

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en

Don't know the product number?   Please use this guide to find out.

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

If none of the usb ports are working along with the other problems, then the only suggestion I can offer would be to back up your files and do a system recovery to the factory specs.

It could be anything and it would probably take less time to do a system reset than to try and figure out the root cause of the issue.

Intern
Message 5 of 6 (3,248 Views)

Paul,

Thanks so much for the reply and the guidance. It turns out that all my issues were caused by some malware on my system. My anti-virus software didn't catch any of it, but the MalwareBytes app caught a bunch. After cleaning that up the drivers loaded fine...go figure. Anyways, as frustrated as I was getting, I would not have suspected this as the problem.

Thanks again - appreciate your time and advice.

Provost
Message 6 of 6 (3,230 Views)

That is great news.

I would not have thought the malware could have affected the USB ports either.

I was glad to have been of assistance.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation