Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
ric67 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers for Pavillion dv9821ea entertainment notebook

pavillion dv9821ea
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I was recently given a pavillion dv9821ea laptop which was in bad shape after being infected with a virus. I eventually had to replace the hard drive and at the same time I upgraded the operating system to windows 7 PRO 64bit. I was unable to save nothing from the origonal hard drive, no drivers, HP software etc and since I installed Windows 7, the laptop seems to have several problems including not downloading Windows updates. I connect it to the HP assistant, but this recognises the laptop and only gives me the choice of Windows Vista as the operating system for which to support drivers etc. I wonder if you could help me by letting me know if there is anywhere I can download Windows 7 pro 64bit drivers for this laptop? my wife and I are both disabled and it would make a great difference to me if I could have full use of this laptop. Regards. Gerald

5 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
100597 13884 21330
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Gerald:

HP did not support that model for W7, and you should be able to use the Vista drivers from the dv9821ea support page except the BIOS and firmware files.

Additionally, you can read this helpful dv9000 W7 upgrade guide for some tips on getting W7 to work just fine on that model.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Windows-7-Upgrade-Guide-for-dv60...

0 Kudos
ric67 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Paul, Thank you for your reply, I have managed to update some of the drivers and I'll do the rest as soon as I'm able, i'm having a bit of a bad time healthwise at the moment i'm afraid. The main problem I'm having is that it won't download any windows updates, it tries but nothing happens. I have tried all the Microsoft solutions I have come across but nothing helps. it'll connect to the Internet OK, but as soon as it's anything to do with Windows updates it doesn't want to know, it can't even work trying to find any installed Windows updates, that just spins but goes nowhare as well. My intention has been to try to get it to eventually install Windows 10 so that I can test some software we have, if you can help I would be very grateful. Regards. Gerald

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
100597 13884 21330
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Gerald.

Sometimes fixing that Windows update issue is almost impossible.

If you have not upgraded to SP1, you can get the standalone download from the link below.

You want the next to last file on the list after you click the red download button.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Then don't even worry about the W7 updates if you plan to install W10.

All you need to upgrade to W10 from W7 is to have SP1 installed.

Just download the W10 upgrade from this link...click on the upgrade now button and then you can make the W10 installation disk later by using the Media Creation tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

0 Kudos
ric67 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello paul,

I downloaded windows 10 and burnt it to a DVD, because just downloading it meant it was searching for updates and once again it got nowhere. Anyway I manged to install W10 from the DVD and all seemerd to go well, except when I boot up, I get to the sign in screen, sign in and then I get a lovely blank screen with a cursor, the cursor moves ok, but the screen is blank, I despair. I'm wondering if I'm better giving up and trying to install LINUX, so that at least it might be useable, though as I said I really wanted to have a W10 laptop to play with. If I can't sort it, will Linux install and run of on this laptop, will Linux have all the drivers etc? I have had a very rough wekend health-wise and I do appreciate your help. Kindest regards. Gerald

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
100597 13884 21330
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Gerald.

If you can restart the notebook, see if you can get beyond the sign in screen and disable the fast start by unchecking the box in the power options menu.

I also suggest you check the Microsoft Windows forum for this issue and see what you can find.

For example, I found this post below...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-black-screen-with-cu...

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation