Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 3 (932 Views)

Dv8t-1200 8GB RAM issue

[ Edited ]

It appears the specs for this laptop are wrong.  I recently accidentally ordered 16gb of 1333MHz ram.  The machine powers on fine, but when it gets to the windows boot logo (64bit), it reboots.  No blue screen no error, just reboots. I was curious, so I went into the bios and noticed only 6GB being recognized.  Not too odd as I suppose the 1 just isn't showing up.

So, looking at the specs from both HP and intel, I determine the laptop just doesnt support 16gb.  So by all documents, the computer should support 8gb.  So I just plug in 1 sodimm.  The machine seems to boot fine, but after a few minutes I get a bluescreen.  The ram has since been tested in another laptop to be OK.  I would think this would mean the timings of the DRAM are off, but I have no way of changing that in the BIOS.  This system should be able to function with the 1 sodimm, which makes me think there is a bios error. Is there any way of getting an updated bios to actually support 8gb is 1 sodimm?

PS: To make maters more interesting, I can boot perfectly fine in 32bit ubuntu.  It sees 16gb of ram and seems solid after a few hours of running (it might see 16gb but only use 8gb haven't looked into it that much)

PPS:  i5-450m, pm55 chipset, insyde bios f.25

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 3 (920 Views)

Re: Dv8t-1200 8GB RAM issue

If it runs OK in Linux it does not seem to be a hardware issue. I know Linux interfaces with the BIOS differently than Windows so I cannot rule out a BIOS issue, though. Just for fun, open up msconfig....i.e. type that in the run line in the start menu...select the boot tab and advanced boot options and see if maybe something has been set there which is a problem. It should be all greyed out with nothing selected so that the boot routine does not impose any limits.

Top Student
Message 3 of 3 (906 Views)

Re: Dv8t-1200 8GB RAM issue

Nope that does nothing.  Safe mode does nothing either.  Oddly enough, I am able to boot a popular BSD based distrobution, but only in its "safe mode".  The common thing with both of these that do not work is that they have 64bit kernels.  The linux distrobution I'm using (ubuntu 12.0.4) is only 32 bit.  

Perhaps it works because 32bit kernels have to use PAE to utilize the other RAM.  Which furthers my point that this may be a BIOS issue.  64bit kernels are meant to be able to address RAM  > 4GB, so the fact it's not working on 64bit OSes and is working on 32bit is counterintuiive to me.  Oh well. 

As a side note, memtest86 reboots on ths laptop.  Meh.  How weird.  I suppose if this is a BIOS issue, HP won't care enough to issue an update or even provide a BIOS with the advanced features unlocked as the PM55 chipset is quite old now days.  It'd be nice to get support for something that still works quite well, though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation