Did you mean: 
NisseQ Tutor
Tutor
4 3 0 4
Message 11 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Elite USB-C Dock & Spectre x360 15

The issue is not that the power connector is via USB-C. The problem is that, after what I heard, non-HP power adaptors are blocked out by software in the Spectre. Since HP, as it seems, don't offer a USB-C dock that works with the Spectre, it seems impossible to get a one wire solution for docking.

I wonder if someone can confirm that this is how it is, or, better, if someone has experience from using a (one wire) dock with a Spectre x360, with sucess.

0 Kudos
Jimmyhead Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 12 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will like to know what happened in this Meeting, what did the HP Expert say?

Edwin_VC Tutor
Tutor
6 5 0 5
Message 13 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Of course I am also curious about other succesful experiences with similar docks.

Note:  you mentions "The problem is that, after what I heard, non-HP power adaptors are blocked out by software in the Spectre." But the Elite USB-C Dock is a genuine HP product. That is what makes this finding so striking.

NisseQ Tutor
Tutor
4 3 0 4
Message 14 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have now purchased a Startech USB-C Dual-Monitor Docking Station (MST30C2DPPD) and it works well with the 13 inch Specter x360. It also works with the 15 inch, though I get the message that the charging is not optimal. I have not used it long enough with the 15 inch, to know if the message is reccuring or is only displayed once.

The only thing is, the StartTech has some stability issues. Occationally i have to pull the power plug to reset it, as it looses the connection with the display. This is annoying (all program windows rearranges). One time the USB ports stopped working and required a reset. This has not happened again.

Has anyone had a good experience with another docking station? That would be valuable information.

Edwin_VC Tutor
Tutor
6 5 0 5
Message 15 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ All,

Any updates on this subject?

Haven't seen any progress on using the HP Elite Dock - works well on replicating ports but still does not charge when the Spectre laptop is being used, only charging when in sleep/switched off.

I am still in the market for a dock that will replicate ports and charge at the same time. Does anyone know a good alternative that will work for sure with the X360 15? And is stable.

Does anyone have experience with the Lenovo USB-C Dock 90W?

Thank you all!

Mr_Armageddon Tutor
Tutor
13 10 0 2
Message 16 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately it seems that even with the newest version of the 15in Spectre (late 2017 version), the 3rd Party blocking DRM is still an issue.  I just picked one up with the new 8th Gen Intel CPU, and my Belkin Thunderbolt dock, which works fine with my Lenovo and MacBook, won't charge the Spectre at all, and I get the standard error message "For ful performance, connect a higher capacity power adapter."

I understand the 15in has a 90w power adapter, and most of these docks only output 85w, but HP has done the wrong thing here by completely blocking the charging function via DRM.  I honestly didn't think I would have this much of an issue with a "Universal" standard like USB-C with the "Power Delivery" specification all these OEMs are supposed to be using. 

Hoping I can find a solution, or this laptop is going back to the retailer, and I will just go back to my Lenovo which works fine on my dock, both charging and outputting to 2 displays.  If anyone has found a better option, I would love to hear about it. 

Edwin_VC Tutor
Tutor
6 5 0 5
Message 17 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It has been a year since. Anyone seen progress on this?

I found a new HP USB-C Doc: 2DW60AA. 

From the HP Data Sheet: Normal Operating Power 90W

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA7-0133ENW&doctype=data%20sheet&doclang=EN_U...

Anyone experence with tis dock and the Spectre x360?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CaptAwesome Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 18 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

I got the same Setup (15" spectre with vega) + HP Elite TB3 Dock.

Everything works fine except charging..

I can work around with a second charger, but it kind of defeats the purpose of just having one cable to connect everything. Especially, like it sounds it's a software issue, that they block "3rd party" chargers.

Other solutions are not really an option for me, because i got a ZBook for work which I also use with this dock.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation