Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 17 (5,054 Views)

Elite USB-C Dock & Spectre x360 15

Product Name: HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am really happy with the X360 15 laptop and it does impress allot of people. I work from home and regularly visit my customers. For these occasions I had bought the Elite USB-C Dock - of course giving me many ways to connect, but also as a second charging device (in case I forget the original charger). Of course I was hoping that since both are HP devices it would work as expected.

Now upon connecting the Dock via USB-C, it will display a notification telling me "For full performance, connect a higher capacity power adapter." This does suggest to me that it should 'perform' but not with full power - charge less quickly i assume. This is okay for me.

But for some reason it does not charge at all when the laptop is active or stand-by. It will charge when the laptop is 'Off'. Now of course this is not really a solution for me - an empty battery and/or a laptop that is switched off does not really help me being productive :smileywink:.

I have been reading outher blogs about this - but had not yet found this specific combination. I found on other blogs that it is a setting (DRM?) for each specific laptop model - and some laptops have received an update that solves this issue.

Hopefully this message/request will  generate suggestions for me or maybe even reach the HP support organization and open a dialog.

hpusbcdock_notification_highercapacitycharger_20170406.PNG

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 17 (5,045 Views)

Re: Elite USB-C Dock & Spectre x360 15

[ Edited ]

What is the complete product name or product number of your Spectre x360 15 model series ultrabook?

Which Elite USB-C dock is it?

What is it's product number?

Did you consider a thunderbolt 2 docking station?

If you find that my posts help you, you can say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs up + in the purple box next to the Reply button .

If your problem is solved or your question answered by a particular post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

I am not an HP Employee, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time
Tutor
Message 3 of 17 (4,971 Views)

Thank you for your response!

Here we go:

Laptop: HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl020nd

Dock: HP Elite USB-C Docking Station TPA-B01

I did not look for the Thunderbolt docking, did not come to my mind. Did sound a bit to spectacular for me. Just now found it is not even available here in the Netherlands. I am a business customer, I'd prefer a local supplier with Dutch invoice and warranty.

Hopefully this combination can work form me. Don't need it to be a supercharger.

Provost
Message 4 of 17 (4,958 Views)

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, the docking station you chose is not compatible with your X360 ultrabook. You may have been better of choosing an Enterprise model ultrabook like an EliteBook instead of the consumer version that you have.

Currently the best you can do at a reasonable price will be a port replicator. It is not meant to use for charging your X360.

See the following thread. There is mention of a Plugable device which may have the capability to do exactly what you want. See the reviews on Amazon.co.uk. I would contact Plugable.com and ask them about compatibility with nyour HP Spectre x360 ultrabook.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/HP-Spectre-x360-Universal-Docki...

The plugable thunderbolt solution.

http://plugable.com/2016/11/21/plugables-award-winning-usb-c-triple-display-docking-station-is-now-a...

at Amazon.co.uk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_3_6?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=plugable&s...

If you find that my posts help you, you can say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs up + in the purple box next to the Reply button .

If your problem is solved or your question answered by a particular post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Student
Message 5 of 17 (4,885 Views)

I too am desperately looking for a dock solution for the Spectre x360 15 (2017) capable of powering the laptop. Seeing reference to pluggable I emailed them to ask the status of support for this laptop and was informed that they don't have anything supporting this model of laptop.

I also emailed HP support and they replied to say there is no HP solution capable of charging and suggested a port replicator.

Does anyone have a solution allowing a single cable connection to this laptop to both power it and allow HDMI and multiple USB connections? If there is nothing available right now, is there anything in the pipeline?

TIA

Wallport

Provost
Message 6 of 17 (4,843 Views)

I will bug HP about it at the HP Expert Meetup next month in Portland.

Tutor
Message 7 of 17 (4,777 Views)

Thank you in advance!

Of course we can argue that it is not a actual business device and therefor a dock has low priority. But all current slim-design devices have limited onboard connectivity thus this will justify the docking option even for the non-business users if you ask me.

And especially since USB-C does specify different charging capacities being supported. And obviously this is currently supported but only when switched off. I'm not an hardware guy, but I know in software we can at least re-enable something that we disabled before...

The power to Erico!

Tutor
Message 8 of 17 (4,623 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, please do bug HP about this. The Spectre x360 15-inch (2017 edition) is not a low-end machine. It needs a single connector, USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 docking solution. In fact I was ready to buy one but now don't think it can replace my Lenovo T530, which, via a single (traditional) docking station, can be charged and is connected to a pair of external monitors and an  external drive. 

Tutor
Message 9 of 17 (4,558 Views)

I've heard that HP has blocked the use of third party USB-C power adaptors in software, in the eSpectre x360 series. This really defies the purpose of the USB-C standard. I have also found no HP solution to this, i.e. a single cable solution (port replicator and charging). I don't find this acceptable. This is not anything that was communicated pre-sales.

Does anyone have experience from working combinations between a Spectre x360 and a USB-C docking station? Or, do you have information about combinations that should be supported?

I'm also getting a 13" Spectre x360, so the quetion goes for that model as well.

And now a message to HP: "Please stop blocking the use of third party chargers, as long as you don't offer a suitable product yourself."

Provost
Message 10 of 17 (4,546 Views)

NisseQ wrote:

I've heard that HP has blocked the use of third party USB-C power adaptors in software, in the eSpectre x360 series. This really defies the purpose of the USB-C standard. I have also found no HP solution to this, i.e. a single cable solution (port replicator and charging). I don't find this acceptable. This is not anything that was communicated pre-sales.

Does anyone have experience from working combinations between a Spectre x360 and a USB-C docking station? Or, do you have information about combinations that should be supported?

I'm also getting a 13" Spectre x360, so the quetion goes for that model as well.

And now a message to HP: "Please stop blocking the use of third party chargers, as long as you don't offer a suitable product yourself."

My 2016 product loan was a Spectre 13. The power adapter did connect to any of the three  the USB type-C connectors.

The 2017 Spectre x360 13t  has USB Type-C power connector and Thunderbolt ports (2) so it will use the USB Type-C and Thunderbolt ports as its power connector. As far as I am aware, none of the new models have a DC power connector.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation