Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G4

Hello,

I've read the threads asking about the Elitebook 840 G4's compatibility with HP docking station, but what about universal ones? I purchased this with 2 external monitors, only to learn afterward that the various USB ports aren't compatible with this docking station because it needs a transfer rate of 10 Mbps. The computer does not even recognize that there are additional displays connected to it, but it does connect to the wireless mouse via the docking station.

I feel like I'm getting conflicting information on the differences between USB 3, USB 3.1, USB 3.1 Gen2, and USB C (though I know this is the port shaped like a thunderbolt). My Elitebook specs say USB 3.1 (which some websites say has a 10 Mbps transfer rate and others say has a 5 Mbps transfer rate). I know the USB C only has a transfer rate of 5. So, I bought this cable to connect the USB 3.1 to the dock instead of using the USB C cable that it came with. Still no luck. 

Since I haven't had luck with the cable, is there any way to upgrade the ports in the computer itself to accomplish this? If so, would I have to install additional firmware or drivers?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ElisaP 

Specs for the series

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitebook-840-g4-notebook-pc/11122291/document/c05349510#AbT...

which says it has

(2) USB 3.1 Gen (1 charging)
(1) 1 USB-C (Up to 5 Gbps data transfer and 15 W power)
(1) DisplayPort 1.2
(1) VGA
(1) RJ-45 (Ethernet)
(1) Docking connector
(1) Headphone/microphone combo
(1) AC

That USB-C prort won't work with the dock you have. If you wish to connect to 2 external monitors, all you need for your machine is any USB-A dock which is DisplayLink Certified. Please enter your requirement on the following link and it will find for you few options on market today including some HP products:

https://www.displaylink.com/products/universal-docking-stations

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

HP USB-C Travel Dock
T0K29AA#xxx

HP USB Travel Dock
T0K30AA#xxx

HP UltraSlim Docking Station
D9Y32AA#xxx

HP Elite USB-C Docking Station
X7W54AA

840 G4 The USB-C interface of this model is only a basic data transmission function and does not support video output.
You can use the docking station based on the displaylink chip (need to install the displaylink driver)

◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆◆
my english is broken
the meaning may not be accurate
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply,

I understand that it's not compatible with the docking station as is. But what about upgrading the USB port itself in the computer? This video shows how to replace it on other models, but my model isn't listed. Can it be upgraded so that the transfer rate is 10 instead of 5 Mbps?

Thanks again,

Elisa

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this idea cannot be realized.
The USB interface in the video is the USB-A interface on the left side of the computer, which is only the basic USB data transmission function and does not support other additional functions.
Maybe you can buy a new computer. The USB-C interface of EliteBook 8x0 G5/G6/G7 provides more functions. G4 is old.

my english is broken
the meaning may not be accurate
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.