10-21-2011 10:26 PM
I just purchased an Elitebook 8460p and it seems to have a BIOS password by default. I can't find one in the startup guide or anywhere on the packaging, did I miss something? Is there a standard default BIOS password?
10-22-2011 09:21 AM
I never heard of that before. I have bought new HP Elitebook notebooks and they just fired right up.
I suggest you contact HP support because I know of no default BIOS password nor is there a way to reset it on these new notebooks.
10-22-2011 09:36 AM
Paul is correct there is no way to just reset it.
You would need a file with a clean bios and write it to the security chip using a SPEG.
SPEG is a multi device programmer for SPI Serial Flashes. It can be used as stand-alone programmer, as well as for in-system programming (ISP/ICSP).
The package contains two components, the software and the hardware used to interface with Serial Flash chips through SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) protocol. The software communicates with the hardware interface via PC's parallel port (LPT).
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher and Registered Microsoft Partner
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code
- HP Notebook PCs - How to Power Reset your Laptop
- HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)
- HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting No LED Lights Glow During Startup or Boot