Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8560w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello.

I own an elitebook 8560w since 2012.I had never ever used its battery,because actually i never needed to (I used it pretty much as a desktop).

Yesterday,i bought a genuine hp-battery specific for my computer.And here is the problem that occured:

While my computer is ON with the battery disconnected,when i connect the battery,the power switches from ac to battery like it should,but the battery is NOT charging.

Moreover,i dont have the "plugged in,not charging" problem like most of other people in forum discussions,but right after the moment i insert the battery,the charger connected to my laptop is totally ignored!Like its not connected at all!

As a result,if i disconnect the battery,the laptop power doesnt switch back to the charger,but shuts down ,as it doesnt "see" any power supply.Not only that,but even if it shuts down it will not start up,until i disconnect and re-connect the charger (maybe because it is still waiting to get power from battery which was disconnected and is not switching to the charger supply).

Finally,i ran a battery test in hp connection manager and result was that battery is "OK".

I have my laptop on dual boot (Windows-7-64 / Kali-linux ) and all these problems above apply to Kali as well,which leads me to the conclusion that it isnt a software problem.

Also,i have to mention something important: After the original charger i had bought the laptop with,stopped working 3 years ago,i didnt buy the genuine,but a universal charger with the exact same characteristics (Voltage-current),which works perfectly fine all these 3 years (although never had inserted a battery to check if it is charging).

The solutions i tried and failed to fix the problem were the following:

1)Uninstall ACPI drivers from device manager and reinstalled

2)Turn off the laptop,unplug everything,keep power button pressed for a minute to discharge capacitors,put the battery and charger back on and power up.

3)Update BIOS

So,my questions are: 

a) Does this problem occur due to the fact that i dont have the original hp charger and compatibility issues occur?Can we say for sure if elitebooks are compatible with other chargers or not?

b) if universal chargers work just fine in elitebooks,is it possible for the battery to have an issue,despite the fact that it works perfectly fine (except the charging thing) ?

c)If a and b are false,is there anything else i can try in bios or O.S. settings to fix the problem? Or we conclude that its a hardware issue (the charging circuit) and the laptop needs to be opened up ?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That was the the problem after all.

I connected the original hp adapter and the battery charged just fine!

Thank you for your help GLB84!

Problem solved 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You might want to take a look at this document: Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge.

It suggests troubleshooting steps to determine if the problem is the battery, the power supply, or the system board.

You might find the answer to your battery/power issue as you work through the steps in that HP support article.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello GBL84 and thank you very much for your reply.

I inspected carefully the link you provided me:

My laptop and power supply seems to work as described in the sections "Troubleshoot the power supply " and "Troubleshoot the system board" 

In step 2 of "Troubleshoot the battery" ,with computer powered off and battery inserted,when i connect the AC power supply , the power LED (    ) , does not glow.

BUT, as asked in step 4, the notebook,with only the battery connected,does power on and functioning properly and also as i said in my first post, HP power manager tested this battery as "OK".

Fivos

HP Recommended

Hello Fivosts,

Thank you for your Reply !!

Let me ask you this, Battery taken out, Laptop connected only with the AC adapter.

Do you see the charging light on the power port where the adapter fits in. 

Can you try with another adapter and see if you get a light, or try your adapter on a different identical laptpo to see if the adapter is working fine.

Since you have tested the battery and seems ok.  Now we are left with 2 Things to isolate.

Adapter or thecharging port of the laptop. Either of the one could be faulty.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi , GBL84

My laptop doesnt have an led at the port unfortunately.

But i thing i figured out the problem,though i am not sure yet and thats why i didnt post.

In my despair of finding a solution,i searched and found the schematics of my motherboard.Trying to find the circuit that has to do with power connecting and charging,i discovered that the ac port doesnt just have 2 terminals ( + and -) but also a third one which in the schematic was named "sens_signal".

Indeed,after doing a fast search for the original hp charger of my computer,I realised that it is a "smart charger" with 3 terminals : +,- and "sens" which i assume is used by the motherboard to take measurements and maybe enable/disable battery charging.

Now,when it comes to the universal charger i use,it just provides positive and negative voltage (2 pins) ,so my guess is that despite the fact that this charger is fully able to power up the laptop normally, the unconnected "sensor" pin makes the motherboard block the charging of the battery,as it waits to receive a signal from that specific pin.

I just need to try the hp-charger to confirm that all the above are correct,although it really makes sense.

HP Recommended

That was the the problem after all.

I connected the original hp adapter and the battery charged just fine!

Thank you for your help GLB84!

Problem solved 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello Fivosts,

If you are happy with the help you received it is customary to mark the actual answer with information as the "Solution" rather than you thank your post, but you are welcome. 

GOOD LUCK !

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Im having the same problem now but not with windows only with kali linux
When i use windows it works fine
When i use kali linux on battery it is also fine
But when i use kali plugged in charger (original battery, original charger) my laptop shuts down automatically
Please help me
Im also getting some acpi error when i switch on linux
I don't know may be thats the reason
Someone help me
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.