Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8570p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was planning on installing a mSATA-drive into the WWAN-Slot of my EliteBook 8570p. But before I would buy a drive, I first wanted to make sure that my Laptop actually supports mSATA. So could anybody please tell me if the 8570p-Series supports mSATA on the free slot?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The Service Manual is not very informative. There is an image of an mSATA mSSD at page 48 of the Service Manual:

Manual

However, if you look up the HP Part numbers of all the listed SSDs they are all 2.5 inch SATA types. See p. 49. 

See p. 93. The only place an mSATA mSSD could go is in the WWAN port. I know that certain Lenovo Thinkpads of this era with the 3rd gen Intel Core processors had a multi-purpose pcie slot that could work with either a WWAN card or an mSSD. It has been a while since I dealt with an 8570p but I seem to recall the same is true for it. If you put an mSATA mSSD in that slot it will appear as storage. I just wish I could be 100% certain. You do know that an mSATA mSSD is no faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD and on this model you can use the upgrade bay to install a hard drive or SSD and then also the 2.5 inch bay inside the laptop? So I really see no reason for the mSATA unless you happen to already have one around you want to use, in which case it cannot hurt to experiment. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer. I have before a lenovo x220t and it can boot the os from msata ssd no problem. I still have this ssd installed on a drive bey inside the laptop.I try it before and  I will try again when i get back home if i can boot the OS from wwan with the ssd in it. They updatet the bios several times since i have this laptop so i hope the limitation of the slot is removed. If not i will carry on with the drive bey.

HP Recommended

The mSATA may "work", but not be bootable. It may only work as an acceleration cache disk and also as an extra lettered storage drive so put the mSSD in the laptop and boot to Windows using the existing hard drive and see if it shows up in disk management. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. I will try the msata ssd with another disk if is not working i will leave it in a drive bey as it is. I just want to add a CD drive on it but i will use external after all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.