Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envie TS 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My   Envie 15 touch smart which has 16 GB ram has 8GB ram disappeared after a long time working fine, I tested both rams separately and they both work well even when I put it in slot one or two, in the lower or the upper slot, they work, but they are no longer recognized in bio or system, only 8 GB is showing up. I ran several HP diagnostics support software from my computer and from HP website still the same, I also updated the latest Bio still does not recognize the 16 GB, I have never seen that before. I called Intel support and they said that I followed all the right steps in testing the ram. I don't know what to do anymore, I even tried to roll back a month before with a system image that I had. Still the same. 

When I run diagnostic, it does not find any issue with any of the components, all fine no error whatsoever. Can someone know of a Fix?

IMG_20210304_032154.jpgIMG_20210304_030738.jpg 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@YvesArt

Welcome to the HP support community.

Provide the notebook product number or the serial number for further assistance.

Refer this document to find the product number:- Click here

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandytechy, Product number C8P47AV  It was a custom build with more ram. Ram 2X 8 GB PC3L-12800S-11-11-P  DDR3 serial # RDAXECSTF5K0WW.

Serial.jpgIMG_20210304_081530.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

thanks for the follow-up, I don't know if it has anything to do with it, or if it is a motherboard issue, yesterday I had a big window update twice in a row, and this morning after checking my device I had 16 GB ram recognized by window 10,  I was so thrilled... I was hoping it was going to remain that way the computer seems to work flawlessly, f

But I just boot up again and I am still just showing up 8 BG Ram.

What wrong with my HP Envie Laptop?

Please help anyone

Have a good day.👍

HP Recommended

Hi@YvesArt,

Welcome to HP Community!

I have gone through your Post and would like to help.

As per the Service Guide, the Notebook supports up to 16GB RAM, But the  frequency same  as being Support for DDR3L (1600-MHz) dual-channel

Refer to page 12  HP ENVY TouchSmart 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide link

Hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Just to clarify, I did not upgrade the memory this is the memory that came pre-install by HP when I purchased the computer.

The problem is 8 of the GB stops to be recognized by window device property, sometimes it is recognized as 16 GB sometimes it is recognized as 8 BG without me doing anything.

Can you help with that?

Is there a fix I can do? 

PS: 16GB_or_8GB.jpgI did not do anything, changed any part, when it started to act I just changed the ram in their upper and lower slot (reversed) to see if they both worked and they do work.  

HP Recommended

HI@YvesArt

Try updating the BIOS and chipset driver on your PC and check if it helps.

Updating the BIOS  & Windows updated

You can try updating the drivers using the HP support assistant.

Refer to this article to know more information about using HP support assistants.

If the issue still persists

HP Recommended

I had already done that prior to asking for help,  Intel support had suggested that and I told them it was a step I have already done.. 

if you think of any other fix I can try please do not hesitate to suggest them to me.

Thanks 

HP Recommended

Sorry Page 12 is showing Keyboard Function Key 

Item Component Description
(1) esc key Reveals system information when pressed in combination
with the fn key.
(2) fn key Executes frequently used system functions when pressed
in combination with the b key, the spacebar, or the
esc key.
(3) Windows key Returns you to the Start screen from an open app or the
Windows desktop.
NOTE: Pressing the Windows logo key again will
return you to the previous screen.
(4) Action keys Execute frequently used system functions.
NOTE: On select models, the f5 action key turns the
radiance backlight keyboard feature off or on.
(5) num lk key Alternates between the navigational and numeric
functions on the integrated numeric keypad.
(6) Integrated numeric keypad When num lk has been enabled, it can be used like an
external numeric keypad.
12 Chapter 2 External component identification

HP Recommended

I guess there is no fix and no one is able to find a solution for that problem, I am not happy with this issue I own several HP laptops and desktop computers and I never see that problem even in an older model, I also referred HP to a lot of users.  since I paid quite a bit of money to get this Envie custom build with 16 GB ram ( see where it got me) I am not happy with HP computer now. I am not willing to pay more money to a service center,   it is not an option for me, especially that a fix is not sure and it might be very expensive if it is a defective motherboard,  I rather keep my money to buy a new more reliable brand computer. HP will be out of my list because of that, it does not provide proper support and build its computer with unreliable motherboard I guess. So I will have to boycott them from now on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.