Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 N001tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Envy 17 N 001TX  HDD + SSD

Product Number: M9V44PA

The laptop has already 2TD HDD.

Can i add SSD on it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes. On that model the M.2 slot is present on models with an i7 processor and dedicated graphics chip according to the Service Manual. 

Manual

See p. 2

However, the Manual is very vague as to the location of and access to the M.2 slot. 

Others have posted pictures and it seems the Manual is wrong and you do not need to remove and flip over the motherboard to get to it. The slot is right above the hard drive bay see p. 35. 

So you can add an M.2 mSSD module to your laptop sometimes called a "gumstick" hard drive. 

This is what it would look like:

Post back with any other questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Yes. On that model the M.2 slot is present on models with an i7 processor and dedicated graphics chip according to the Service Manual. 

Manual

See p. 2

However, the Manual is very vague as to the location of and access to the M.2 slot. 

Others have posted pictures and it seems the Manual is wrong and you do not need to remove and flip over the motherboard to get to it. The slot is right above the hard drive bay see p. 35. 

So you can add an M.2 mSSD module to your laptop sometimes called a "gumstick" hard drive. 

This is what it would look like:

Post back with any other questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

On page 18:

Solid state drive (not illustrated).
256 GB M2 SATA-3 TLC 812708-001
512 GB M2 SATA-3 TLC 814224-001
512 GB M2 SATA-3 TLC 814224-001

Not know who sell this parts.

Is this one comfortable  for my laptop?

If so need any extra part to install?

HP Recommended

Yes that Samsung will work. All you will need is  a screw to hold it in the laptop and the laptop likely has one of those in there already. 

HP Recommended

Hi, i got that item but i am not able to install that.  Please see attached image

ssd.jpg

ssd2.jpg

HP Recommended

So it is not fitting in the slot?

HP Recommended

Yes, What should i do not?

HP Recommended

Can you return it?

HP Recommended

No way to return it. Brought  from USA and i am in India.

HP Recommended

Well it does look different from the picture I posted. I suspect your laptop cannot take a PCI-e M.2 but in all the ones I have tried they at least fit in the slot. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.