Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Jeff, have you installed the cable from Amazon in your computer?  DSCN1734.JPGDSCN1732.JPG Is there a trick to this?  The main board on my laptop has a 12 pin HHD connector and the cable is 10 wire.  I opened up a 17 j157.  It in fact has a 10 pin main board hhd connector.  

Thanks

HP Recommended

Yes I have installed it and it works perfectly. I have three HP laptops; my brand-new one is an Envy 17t cg100 CTO (11th gen i7) , my older one is an Envy 17t S143cl and I also have another older Envy 17t (8th gen i7) and the cable mentioned in my previous post fits all of them the same. How old is your laptop? 

It's best to look in the service manual for your specific laptop and see what the part# is for the cable or drive mounting kit. If the cable doesn't fit, it's obviously the wrong one.
From what I can tell every cable I've found for HP laptops has the same number of pins. 

Jeff

HP Recommended

Do you know if that cable will fit a 17t-cg000 as well? Both computers certainly look the same on the outside.

HP Recommended

First, how a laptop's exterior looks has little to do with what's inside. For example, while the cg000 looks much like a cg100 (even on the inside, they have a similar layout) they have different motherboards and some different components. HP does, however, share many parts among similar models. 

I checked your service manual (you can download it from HP support) which gives you the exact part number for your laptop model which is L87952-001 (the same one spec'd for the cg100, cg000, and cg001) 

Since you can't buy the L87952-001 from the Hp parts store, you're stuck using something else that will work. Since the cable I bought from Amazon works for my cg100 it should work for a cg000 as well. The cable from Amazon (mentioned in a previous post) is much longer than needed. What I did to address that was run the cable straight under the drive from the connector on the motherboard and then up and over the drive with a soft twist to the drive connector. The twist fits nicely between the drive connector and the battery so there should not be any kinks - I used a piece of tape to hold the cable flat while I put the cover back on to assure that it wouldn't get trapped between the battery or drive and the back cover during assembly, otherwise the cable moves freely between the two connectors (no pinching.)

Hope this helps.

Jeff Miller, CTO

Learn2Soar Consulting, Inc

HP Recommended

As of 2021 the L87952-001 cable can be had from hp parts.  It is shipped from the HP Service Center in Grapevine, Tx for $38.11 with tax and shipping.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that. I received the cable yesterday and installed it. It works! The cable is a little bit short so I had to route it underneath the drive. Also, be sure that the shiny contacts go down toward the motherboard.

HP Recommended

I have been trying to track down the L87952-001 cable but the hp parts store says it is not available to order. Can you confirm that it was parts.hp.com that you used?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Good luck.  

I tried for over a month to get this part, it's out there, you just need to get lucky and "chat" with the right support agent.  Using the phone, I got transferred all over the planet and wasted a half a day.  I went into HP support area as if my computer was broken and did an online chat with an agent.  2 out of 3 chat sessions I got the part I needed straight from HP.  The third, well, I received a list a web addresses that only sold laser printer parts, more wasted time.

You will need at least your model name and number, model id number, and serial number.

SSCN1746.JPG

HP Recommended

Yes that was what I was afraid of. I too was sent to websites selling printer parts. I have tried a company called https://www.newmodeus.com/ where I found stuff for my previous HP computer. They said they hope to have this part in stock by end of March. 

I don't get it though. A new computer and you cannot get parts?

Thanks for replying I will try the chat approach and see if that works for me. Unfortunately (?) I am in Canada so I am not sure how well it will work up here.

HP Recommended

I believe I got to the right people by going to "Technical Support" as when I tried hp parts, I was sent to every printer parts web site on the planet.    I do know I had to enter my model & serial number before I could chat with an agent that did end up helping me.  I did get to the right department/person twice.  With me skills, if I found help at HP, anybody can if you just keep trying.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.