Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Envy 6 How do you dim keyboard backlight? 

Manual says F5 and up/down arrow, but that doesn't change the level.

Does this work for anyone else with one of these?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hey there G3,

Do you have the proximity senor enabled? Here is a link about using the proximity sensor: Display and Keyboard Dims Using the Proximity Sensor

I dont have a Sleekbook handy to check the keyboard layout. Let me know if the proximity sensor is not the issue and we can go from there.

Thanks
Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi Sean,

I also have this prob.  Just bought my envy laptop and its very annoying when watching movies with this light in your face.  I googled some info and tried pressing Fn and Space then F5 then press F5 again and the first time it worked but not since.  I do not have light sensors on my laptop but if you have any advice that would be cool.  Thanks :generic:

HP Recommended

No there is no proximity sensor.  Wish there was - thought that was a standard thing with backlit keyboard.  Has been on all the others I've had. 

From the manual:

"F5 Turns the radiance backlight keyboard feature off or on (select models only).

NOTE:

To conserve battery power, turn off this feature. To switch between low,

medium, or high brightness levels, press and hold this key in combination with either

the up or down arrow key."

My F5 key turns the keyboard on and off, but when you use it with the arrow keys the arrow keys just work like normal arrow keys.  Holding F5 down makes no difference (besides turning on/off backlight)

Not related to the problem but I was disappointed with the backlight itself which bleeds through all around the keys.  My Logitech just lights each letter, you don't get a bunch of glow around the keys.  Which I think is why this looks so bright that I want to be able to dim it!

Thanks

HP Recommended
Hey Robb -- You still having issues with the backlight button?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Sean...

I have a Envy dv7 quad with a similar issue and don't have the proximity software installed - at least it is not in my programs list. Also look at the bleed. Note keys P, 1, 0, ', and a couple of others look just fine. What gets me the most is when the backlight is off, the bleed from the wireless F12 key.

I purchased last month and the first keyboard was worse. I have pics of it. I called and laptop was to be replaced. However a few days later, HP returned the original with nothing done. I called support this time and sent the laptop off to have the keyboard replaced. This is what I just got back today and it is now 6+ weeks since my order and $2600 for this.

I am now thinking send it back and get my money back and look for a Toshiba. Proximity software may help me think otherwise. However, I am not sure I want to live with all this bleed. Especially if I want to watch a movie. Just the F12 on is a big distraction.

Regards,

Don

backlight keyboard onkeyboard off

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have an Envy 14 (4-1043CL) with the same issue - is there a way to dim the lit "F5" key that controls the keyboard backlight?  It is WAAY too bright.  The manual says to use the up/down arrow keys - I have tried all kinds of combinations of the arrow and F5 key with no results.  Help! - thanks.

AndyN

HP Recommended

@AndyN wrote:

Hi there,

I have an Envy 14 (4-1043CL) with the same issue - is there a way to dim the lit "F5" key that controls the keyboard backlight?  It is WAAY too bright.  The manual says to use the up/down arrow keys - I have tried all kinds of combinations of the arrow and F5 key with no results.  Help! - thanks.

AndyN

Hello AndyN.  

What happens when you hold the Fn key and press the arrows?

Have a good day.  I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

I hate to say - nothing happens.  tried while holding both Fn-F5 down and just Fn or F5 ...

HP Recommended

I did a quick fix: popped off the F5 keycap, covered the LED with electical tape, then put the cap back on.  The F5 key still illuminates enough to see the key, and the backlight works the same as it uses a different LED.

Would still like to know if anyone can dim the keyboard using the up/down arrow keys though ...

AndyN

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.