Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Envy Notebook M6 Hinges broken and freezing

HP Recommended
Envy Notebook 6
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I have had my Envy M6 for a little over a year and is now out of warranty and of course now everything on it is not working. I took the laptop back to Best Buy where I bought it and told them the hinges on the laptop were broken and the computer is always freezing or won't even let me log on, and if it does it will freeze with in minutes. Geek Squad could only quote to fix the hinges and he said "I have no idea why it's freezing."  I tried calling HP support and of course they said before they could do anything they wanted to let me know they had to charge me for any information/support/fixes. Does anyone have any ideas on why it would be freezing and how much it would cost to get the hinges fixed?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,641 3,064 52 154
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have two identical HP 17" Pavilion Envy laptops. The one I bought first after 8 months the hinges froze completely, the left one broke and cracked to top of the laptop case. I had a nasty time convincing HP support the issue was not me but the computer. After having to get rough with them they finally sent the box off for me to get it repaired. After three weeks I get the computer back.

Now the second HP Pac laptop computer (identical to mine) the hinges are starting to freeze up making it difficult ti open and close the lid. As I feared this computer appears to be getting the same problem as my laptop.

I have used Dust Off (dust and lint remover) and spray it in and around the hinges and it appears to loosen them up until the next time the computer is used and the lid is opened up. I feel it is only a matter of time before the a hinge cracks and I am back to square one.

As I told HP tech support this appears to be a design issue or heat related issue IMHO. 

So what is the answer to either do a local fix or get HP to recognize they have an issue and get this fixed. I am reluctant to use any lubricants since I know the display electronics go through these hinges and I do not want to create bigger issues that HP would not address.

Oh by the way the hinges are tightening up again on my laptop.

So HP or forum what is the fix for these defective laptop hinges? 

Before I call support I thought I would try this method first.

Larry

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
20,511 15,846 325 965
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LarryVH

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation