Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks I literally just got this thing back from warranty as it was overheating and had a screen issue. They sorted the screen issue which was great but their answer to the heat was "oh the fan needed replacing". Now I've plugged it in and turned it on, running nothing but Firefox, Skype and AV/security it is still VERY hot to the touch on the side, underneath and the keyboard, FAR too hot IMHO to be used as a tablet.

I'm happy with the drives, ram, screen itself, the keyboard the pen/touch screen etc ... well pretty much everything BUT the heat.

I put it in "comfort" mode and it's not too bad but in [edit]. I've had many other laptops and sure if I flog the crap out of them playing a half decent game they'd get hot and push a LOT more air than these do but sitting idle like this is now they barely sweat and have no heat at all.

Do I send this POS back AGAIN for warranty repair, demand replacement perhaps to an i5/i7 or just give up on HP entirely? Worse yet this is sitting on a fan cooler pad as I type this and where I did the testing!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@TaziDevil

Welcome to HP support community.

I am sending you a private message requesting few details. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What details are you chasing?

HP Recommended

Got a 13-ar* or 15-ds* series model? Or any other model with a 3rd generation Ryzen CPU?

Then be sure there never will be a solution by HP or Flextronics (the real manufacturer of the Envys).

Also check this thread and maybe you also want to post your experiences there:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Overheating-WIFI-crashing-Keyb...

HP Recommended

Gen2 ?? R2700.

HP have mysteriously forgotten all about this issue so maybe I'll have to persue legal ramifications.

HP Recommended

They didn't forgot about it. I had the same. I was ignored many times within 4 months,

What's your exact model number? I want to check your BIOS version.

Is your fan powering off with the screen?

Is it overheating and crashing in standby?

HP Recommended

15-cp0013AU

BIOS now F46 and the issue was happening with the previous (F43??).

Yep it HATES coming back from standby status!!!! Will usually blackscreen lock or BSOD! I had to get out of the habbit of letting it go into standby overnight as guaranteed it'd fail next morning trying to fire it up. I thought it was my windows install gone berserk but the **edited  thing is only 6months old and been doing it since I got it.

The fan did seem to power off with the screen but it's that bloody WEAK in cfm/throughput that I didn't notice much. Compared to my old Toshiba it replaced the Toshiba is like an a380 jet engine to a 5cm desk fan in the amount of air they push (even AFTER the HP warranty mob replaced the fan!!).

I'm not sure about the cause of the standby crash it could be heat but usually it happens if it's been in standby for 1hr or more not 5minutes.

I'm extremely disappointed in HP's support ... they made a fuss about the fact it hurt me and now have forgotten me. I foresee a legal battle. Some even made an excuse "oh laptops will get warm when they're working hard " ... fk yeah ... 51c+ on the keyboard is beyond warm I think and that's the cpu basically idling ... I wonder what it would do if I played even minecraft on it ... should take it outside to test it then really go to town legally when it self immolates and burns the house down.

HP Recommended

Thats really interesting!

Then it might be the case, that ALL Ryzen Envys have a faulty BIOS.

But please check one thing for me first before we can be sure they have the same issue and this also might help you with the legal stuff if you test this positive:

1. Download CPU-Z

2. Deactivate the system standby completely and set display standby to 1 minute.

3. Start the CPU-Z stresstest with all (8) threads

Now just wait and look, if your power button LED and the already noticeable fan is powering off within 8 seconds after the screen is turning off. If not, retry it up to 10 times. But give the fan time to shutdown after the screen is powering off.

If the fan was powering down, wait 5 minutes and touch careful starting at the touchpad upside to the keyboard and then the speakers where the CPU is.

Did it heat up already?

If that happens, then it seems all Ryzen Envys at least with your BIOS have the same issues and are potentially dangerous. They could catch fire!  

HP Recommended

No change to fan on mine but the bloody thing is that weak you have to try hard to feel it at the best of times.

HP Recommended

Then your model seems to not have the first issue that my model has.

But we are not done yet. Try this with activated system standby, where I've got the following scenarios:

a) 30-60 minutes in standby:

The lockscreen will barely show up, but mostly without the background. It takes seconds to minutes and a bluescreen will show up with an instant reboot.

b) 60-120 minutes in standby:

The device will not wake up anymore or only with a little chance after many minutes. Now the device could start to heat up already.

c) 2h-4h +++ (or over-night) in standby:

The device could get so incredibly hot now, that you need pot holders to force-shutdown the device, else the overheating doesn't stop.

If it will crash like descripted above, your model seems to be also affected by the standby problem.

Also check your Windows Event Viewer for critical events and warnings that appeared while the device crashed in standby. Normally these are the last events that the Windows Event Viewer could log.

My Event Viewer is showing that very often:

The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.