Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Presario CQ56
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Installed keyboard sometimes only types 5 or 6 letters then behaves as if the control key was held.  Any new key selected would jump to the shortcut if applicable.  If I then select the print shortcut and close the print window, I can type five more letters/numbers.  Sometimes I can type a whole sentence before it does this.

I have replaced the HDD, reset the bios to default.  All drivers are up to date, and there are no viruses.  However I could not load the 2010 Bios update because of an admin lock.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey@jmsoly,

Thanks for the response.

Then, it appears to be a hardware issue and I recommend you to get in touch with Phone support using the link below for further assistance.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Hope this helps. Please share for more assistance.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @jmsoly,

Thanks for reaching out!  A very Good Day to you. 🙂 Hope you are doing well. 🙂  I understand that you have issues with the keyboard not working correctly. I’ll be glad to assist you with this.

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Kudos to you on that score. It is always a privilege to work with tech-savvy and technically competent customers like you. 🙂 We greatly value your relationship with HP. You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

First off, the issue with the keyboard could be hardware related.

Please try these steps first.

Please do a hard reset from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Then please go to the recovery partition and open the command prompt to check outside of windows if the keyboard works.

Steps:

• Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”
  • Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.
  • If the keyboard still does not work correctly here, then it is a hardware issue with the keyboard and it needs to be replaced.
  • Please contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician to get this done as the computer is an older computer and not manufactured anymore.
  • Hence service options are no more available for this product.
  • If it works fine please visit this link for further troubleshooting the keyboard: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03738933
  • You could also check with an external keyboard and if that works fine then the actual keyboard is faulty and needs to be replaced.
  • A workaround would be is to use a wireless or wired USB keyboard with the computer till you get it repaired.

If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this pans out. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, did all suggested.  Could not get laptop to go into recovery mode(f11),and  advanced troubleshooting.  But an external keyboard worked for half a page of text and then behaves the same as the installed keyboard.  Another external board did the same.  Before I throw the Laptop away I want to do a bios update.  I could clear a publisher block but can not clear an administator block.  Can I get a clean copy of the update?  or more help.  Although old it is a nice machine, with WIN 10 loaded.

HP Recommended

Hey@jmsoly,

Thanks for the response.

Any BIOS update on HP products is a tattooed BIOS and it is customized to HP Standards.

You will not be able to find the manufacturer’s BIOS for your PC

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I use the HP support site to get updates.  There is a bios update for my machine?

HP Recommended

@jmsoly

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

Click here for to update the bios.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Your comment regarding the Bios update trigered my thinking.  I have updated my HP Lap Top with Win 10, therefor it probable won't run the HP provided update program.  So unless I can getr more info I am finished with this HP lap Top, and must recycle it.

HP Recommended

Hi @msoly,

I reviewed the response and thank you for the super quick reply. You've done everything that you can to try and make it work. updating drivers and the rest of it. Brilliant stuff. I am amazed at your technical skills.

Please try this step to update the bios from this link:http://hp.com/drivers   if it is available for your operating system and check.

Then please run the component tests from F2 diagnostics page. to isolate the issue further: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-CQ56-Notebook-PC-series/4247498/model/4300757/do...

If the keyboard or touchpad turns out to be faulty, it will show up with a failure code. At that time, you may need to contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician to get the unit serviced.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Although this lap top came with WIN 7, I loaded WIN 10 when it became available.  The Bios updates available work with WIN 7, not WIN 10.  So unless there is a WIN 10 bios update out there(this is an older machine, no longer supported by HP) I am done with my attempts to repair it.  I don't want to close this in a way that implies sucessful fix of my problem, so iI ask the moderator to close it appropriately.

I appreciate all the help I received!

HP Recommended

Hey@jmsoly,

Thanks for the response.

Then, it appears to be a hardware issue and I recommend you to get in touch with Phone support using the link below for further assistance.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.