Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error 601

HP Pavilion 13 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It has been one year and 3 months  since I have purchased my laptop and now it is showing error-601 primary battery error.  My notebook is HP Pavilion 13 Notebook PC . What error is this related to?? And how can I resolve this error??

6 REPLIES 6
Retired
Retired
2840 2757 184 356
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error 601

Hey @Priyedarshe, 

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! I wanted to reach out to you and let you know I will do my absolute best to help! I understand that you are receiving the Primary Battery is Low (601) Error message on your HP Pavilion 13 Notebook PC.

Generally speaking, if "Primary (internal) Battery (601)" appears in an alert message, it means the measured storage capacity of the primary battery is less than 25% of the original storage capacity. The number “601” denotes the associated error code that is recorded in the system log.

Have you tried Updating the BIOS at all?

The best way to check and see if the Battery error is accurate would be to update the Notebook's BIOS and then test the battery again using the Battery Test in the System Diagnostics (F2) environment. Here are the steps for the HP System Diagnostic Battery Test from the Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 7) document: 

To access the HP System Diagnostics Battery Test:

• Unplug the power cord and turn off the computer.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.
  • Immediately press the Esc key and press it repeatedly while the computer starts.
  • The Start Up menu opens.
  • Press F2 to select F2 System Diagnostics.
  • Click Battery Test from the list of Hardware Diagnostic options.
  • Plug in the power cord (if not already done).
  • Click Start Battery Test.

When the test is complete, the first line of the Battery Test page displays the status or condition of the battery. What does that say?

If you need to Calibrate the battery, please follow the steps in the Calibrating the battery manually section. 

If you would like to say "Thanks" for my efforts, you can show your appreciation by clicking the 'Thumbs up'. 

If my post helped you resolve the issue, please don't forget to click the 'Accept as Solution' button. This will allow other's who have the same issue to find the solution also.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?).

I hope this helps! 

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Priyedarshe Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error 601

Thanks for the reply. I will be trying out the method prescribed by you and will let you know the reults.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error 601

I tried out the method and battery check won't even start. whenever I start battery check, progress does not goes beyond 1% leaving just like that for hours, on the other hand it shows the estimated time as 2 mins. When I tried through HP support assistance it showed battery check stopped working.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2840 2757 184 356
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error 601

Hey, 

Thanks for trying the methods and getting back to me! I would suggest trying to do updates first and then try the testing again. 

Did you update the BIOS?

Did you do your Windows Updates?

Did you do the HP Support Assistant updates?

Can you please try to:

• Take the battery out of the Notebook
  • Put the battery back in the Notebook
  • Doing the tests again

If you still can't use the battery testing, please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

There may be other methods, tips or tricks that phone support can use to better assist with a resolution. 

I hope that this helps! 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error 601

Thank you for the reply. But the thing is that my notebook has a built in battery, so I m unable to takeout the battery. Should I take to the service center?? I have another problem. When I updated my windows to windows 10. Sometimes touchpad does not work, then I have to rollback the driver. It updates itself and when it gets updated touchpad works for some time and then again it gets stop working and then again I have to rollback the driver. Is there any permanent solution for this??

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2840 2757 184 356
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error 601

Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me. 

You can go to a service center, or use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

You mentioned that the Touchpad does not always work properly now that you upgraded to Windows 10. 

Have you tried to connect an external mouse and see if it happens also?

Have you tried to see if it happens in Safe Mode?

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver on your Notebook? If not, please follow the steps below.  

• Type in Search, "Device Manager", 
  • Click On Device Manager,
  • Expand Mice and other pointing devices,  
  • Right Click on the TouchPad, 
  • Click on Uninstall,
  • Restart the Notebook twice, 
  • Reinstall the TouchPad Adapter.

The best document I have for TouchPad issues is the Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad document. 

Have you tried to test the Hardware to see if it passes the component testing? 

If not, please remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues, and run the Component Test on the Mouse. 

Please let me know if these steps help! 

Thanks! ​​​​​​​

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation