Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cs0064st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This brand new HP laptop is really great to use except for excessive fan noise that goes up and down while using this PC. It sounds like it is driven by processor load (or temperature) but it is annoying to hear it "spool up" like a jet engine instead of being a more constant  sound. Is there someway to fix this???

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

@YClipper,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I reviewed the post about the fan making noise on the computer. I will be delighted to assist you with this.

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Has it always been like this from the time you purchased the computer?
  • Does the laptop shuts down due to overheating?
  • Does it freeze or lockup?

Excess heat will cause the fans to run constantly, damage components, and limit the speed of the CPU. All of these problems with high power and high heat will cause applications to work slower than normal. One of the main functions of the BIOS is to monitor the temperature and adjust the operating conditions. While the sound of the fan running all the time can be annoying, it may be the first clue that your computer is running as efficiently as possible.

Let's start with performing a hard reset on the PC to release any excessive static/power that could have cause the issue.

Turn off the computer.

Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.

Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here to Perform Bios Defaults:

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

For starters please perform all the prescribed steps from these links to try and fix the issue- HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01007591

Link 2: reducing heat inside the computer: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01657439

I would suggest here is to update the Bios, and Chipset drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link or you can install it from HP Support Assistant.

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would recommend you go ahead and run an extensive system test from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I think the problem is factory, my laptop HP Pavilon 15-n270sa happened the same, I changed the fan, and a few days after, the problem continued. I bought another laptop HP Pavilon 14bf154 na, and a month after to be using it, it begins doing noice the fan, I have an extra fan of those that the laptop puts on top, the problem is not poor ventilation, is manufacturing, that's what I think.

HP Recommended

I did all the steps listed in Jeet's email and still have the problem with excessive fan noise on my HP Pavillion laptop. The fan noise was especially noticable when running the CPU Stress Test (which is when the CPU is consuming a lot of power and the fan is trying to keep it cool). 

I've had lots of other laptops that had fans that sped up or slowed down based on the CPU demands. However, this laptop is by far the loudest fan noise I've evern heard.

Help!

Doug

HP Recommended

@YClipper

Welcome to HP Support Community

Since the issue persists after performing all the troubleshooting steps suggested earlier, I would request you to contact HP Support for Service Options and Fan replacement

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have just bought a brand new HP Pavilion, 15-cw0016au and I am having the exact same problem. I say problem, but as someone who has used computers for over 40 years and having read some more reviews and the comments herein, I'd strongly suspect and suggest that this is a manufacturing defect. The fan noise is indeed like a jet engine winding up and if one is using the laptop in a quiet environment it is annoying.  One could go back literally 20 years and laptops were much quieter. How is it possible that a 2019 model laptop sounds like a jet engine? It's more like a high pitched whine/squeal that is constant but also fluctuates in terms of its irritating resonance. If making things too small makes them too loud, which would you prefer? All I know is that the fan noise is like tinnitus. 

If HP was aware of this 'defect'(and I would suspect that this has been the case), why would they continue selling a computer thus afflicted and in the process degrading the brand? Surely, if the defect was thus identified(and I suspect it was), it would have been prudent of HP to remedy the problem before selling defective computers? 

Are there remedies such as replacing with fans that have been manufactured to a degree and standard, and in a manner that would reflect quality? Can I do easily do this myself?

If one is a writer, or working on some other task where quiet is necessary for best practice...surely fan noise would be a primary consideration of the manufacturer? That and quality control. It's not so easy to hear the fan in a busy department store. 

Perhaps there are better fan upgrades that can fix this? Or is the problem part fan, and part lack of adequate ventilation ducts? Or is it the processor in terms of it operating at temps that mean the fan's size is not matched to the required cooling? I suppose that's factor of size and Rpm's in relation to heat.

Having read more reviews of this laptop and heard many reports of excessive fan noise, I reiterate that I think this is a defect that is and was known by HP. Similar questions here also attest to such. Should that be the case, it reflects poorly on HP in so avoiding some sort of recall on that basis. If not that, just exceedingly poor quality control. Someone is cutting corners if a 10 year old laptop runs quieter. For my first HP computer, not impressed to say the least but I do hope that an easy fix is forthcoming. Even the idea of having to take the laptop back to the store for a fix or refund is a hassle and causes consumers undue blah.

Some mention of BIOS. Why not fix that prior to selling the laptops?

HP Recommended

Hi Peeps - just a follow up to the aforementioned.

Funny I mentioned BIOS, because I had been using the laptop for around 5-6 hours in total, and then the software(possibly HP software) suggested that I update the BIOS.

I did update the BIOS, and then videos would not play. So I did a Windows restore point, to no avail - videos would not play. I then wound back the BIOS update, and the laptop would not boot up. So less than 24 hours having the new laptop, it was comatose. This laptop was returned.

In terms of the fans themselves, they may well have been far too small, and operating at far too high RPM's for the demands of the processor. Since the fans sounded like they were operating at full capacity, that would suggest this was the case. Their resonance was awful, even when they were not running at full blast.

Also, I can't know for sure, but part of the problem could be related to the bundled OS, Windows 10. To be specific, it is bloatware to be sure; all manner of advertising, click bait, and spam. And possibly because Windows 10 is so bloated, and probably performing many many unnecessary tasks at once, the processor is worked hard, and thus, the fans cannot cool the processor properly, hence why they run so fast, even if they were never designed properly.

A larger fan/s may compromise space a little, but can run at lower RPM's and will not produce the awful resonance of the existing fans.

As for Windows 10, this OS is the worst I have ever encountered based on the above and also that it is spyware. A massive number of complaints all over the internet attest to this. I would suggest that if HP wish's to respect their customers, that they do not associate themselves with companies that have no regard for a consumers right to privacy for example.

Most users of computers require minimal functionality and would rather forego the complexity, bloatware, spyware and spam in order that they get reliability, speed and simplicity of use.

I'd like to discuss one issue about the laptop with someone from HP management in order that they can greatly improve things. To say the least that is. You have my number. Please call.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Hi @Pavlova,

I fully agree with you re.  the root-cause for this fan problem being poor HP design or manufacturing quality, no doubt.

I purchased my HP PAVILION 15-CS1855ND  in June, so 3 months ago, offered at a nice price at MediaMarkt, because I actually had such good experience with HP laptops, earlier provided by my employers.

However, soon the fan started to frequently run at such a high speed and with such an annoying hi-pitch noise, that my family-members are complaining when I use it in the living-room. Never experienced this problem before and I'd hate to have to return it to HP for repair or replacement, because I just got it fully installed and configured the way I want it.

Anyway, I'll probably first ask MediaMarkt to have a look at it.

Regards,

Andre.

HP Recommended

Hi Andre - sorry to hear you have been subjected to the same problem. As stated I returned the defective laptop and I purchased a far better machine which thus far has no problems and certainly runs so quietly I rarely hear any fan noise.

I do reiterate that Windows 10 is the worst OS ever. Worse, is MS explorer web browser. Clearly Microsoft themselves have decided that instead of respecting consumers in so providing an OS that is for consumers, they have instead determined that they will follow in the footsteps of Facebook and Google in that the consumer is the product. In other words, they want to track and trace, and collect data on consumers. I would suggest quite strongly, that this is in fact illegal. How on earth this type of predatory activity has passed muster is beyond me; where is the law? And who would wish to use an OS or web browser that is infested with spam, click bait and advertising? I mean if you bought a car, and it would constantly be showing you advertising and click bait...and tracking your every move....you'd be like edited '. You think? But of course!

A such, if HP wish to respect consumers, they would do well to distance themselves from Microsoft and not do business with such unscrupulous companies. 

Having said that, when I encountered the problem with the 'fan noise', I had called HP seeking to speak with someone in senior management. I wished to do HP a favour. I did speak with someone from HP in India and expressed that. it would have taken only 2-3 minutes for me to have spoken with someone higher up, so that I could perhaps save them a bucket-load. 

To what do I refer? Well, since it was impossible to speak with someone who cared and after all this time I was not contacted regards my concerns, I now find myself here again and will tall you all what I was concerned about and which HP would have liked to have known, on the quiet. Quiet because I have and had no intention of maligning the HP brand; all of this is one hundred percent honest.

So when I had the fan noise that first evening using the laptop, later I went to bed. And what do you think I could hear? That's right, the fan noise. In other words, after only using the laptop for a few hours, it had given me actual tinnitus, albeit temporary. As I was getting to sleep I could clearly hear the fans, winding up like a jet engine. Now, the implications of this is that consumers who had used the laptop for days, weeks or months, could potentially have developed long term or permanent tinnitus. You see what I am getting at? A laptop causing a medical condition. Oh dear.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.