Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have a similar whining fan issue with a relatively new 15-cw1000 laptop. The whining occurs starting from low RPM, basically, as soon the CPU fan kicks in. The laptop has already been checked by the HP repair center. They claim to have replaced the malfunctioning "item", but frankly speaking, nothing has really changed. It is nearly impossible to work with the laptop in silent conditions - the whine keeps distracting from work all the time. 

I hope for some reaction from HP or this is the last time I buy/recommend an HP laptop.

HP Recommended

I made the first posting on the issue of excessive fan noise. So far the noise hasn't gone to the level of my other HP notebook or Dell notebook PCs. I have tried all the suggested solutions without any improvement. I appreciate the help provided by HP Support, but so far nothing has fix this problem.

HP Recommended

@YClipper

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

This sounds like hardware related issue with the system fan. Hence, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had this happening on an older laptop. Finally gave up and decided to strip what I could from it. Took out one of the memory chips and put it in a PC and that started to grind on start up. The memory/ram chip seemed to be the problem. Replaced it and my laptop is quiet again so far.

So it could be defective memory chip

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem! I just purchased my laptop brand new in Feb of this year. Everything everyone else is saying, I experience it as well. It is so irritating hearing this whining, jet sound every time I turn it on. It really makes me not even want to use it anymore. I feel like I made a horrible purchase in getting this laptop. Not to mention when I am done with it I can still hear it in the middle of the night! I’m just so disappointed. 

HP Recommended

Yea so how is it you get a 2019 Pavilion that's supposed to be the best i3 and my pc sounds like it has Asthma and is gonna die when i open google crome and now i cant ever get compensated its ridiculous. Who want to hear a fan louder than there netflix show??! 

HP Recommended

I just sent mine in with the same problem to HP.  They replaced the FAN UMA LANNISTER and supposedly did "Extensive Testing", and the fan is still running at full speed.  The computer sometimes will just shut down for no reason too.  

HP Recommended

I'm on my second unit in two weeks (I bought a third, but it was a gift so it's on its way to Mississippi – I'm concerned about that!) If you think you have a solution for this fan problem I'd be delighted to hear from you!  I can't stand it.  I've had HPs for years and never heard fans like this.  I don't want to return a second laptop, but I will... this is too much. 

HP Recommended
  • Has it always been like this from the time you purchased the computer? Yes
  • Does the laptop shuts down due to overheating? No
  • Does it freeze or lockup? No
HP Recommended
  • Yes. It has always been like this.  

It's less than a week old, the second one (I exchanged the first) and very loud. 

• It has not frozen up so far, but it does get very hot, not mater the surface.  Even if I keep it off of a surface, which is awkward. 
  • It does freeze momentarily after about 2 hours of constant use, which is not what I expect from this unit. 

Are these just problematic machines? Do I need to get something entirely different? What to do about the one I sent to another STATE?!  Ugh. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.