Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-eg0210nd or 15-EG0000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear members,

I bought a Pavilion on Amazon. Works perfect, but i want to upgrade the RAM from 8 tot max 32 (2x16). I read all the manuals and all info on the HP site, but nowhere i can see if the motherboard support that kind of upgrade.The motherboard is stated to be the HP 87CB. Can somebody please inform me if it is possible on this motherboard to upgrade the RAM?

Thanks So much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to chapter 1 of the service manual, HP indicates the max is 2 x 8 GB of memory.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

I find that kind of hard to believe on a notebook with an Intel 11th gen core processor.

I would think it should support 2 x 16 GB of memory.

You can verify how much memory your PC can support by doing this...

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator. This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacity and hit enter. There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

If the report shows you can run 32 GB or more memory, this should be a compatible 16 GB memory chip for your notebook...

Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT16G4SFRA32A | Crucial EU

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to chapter 1 of the service manual, HP indicates the max is 2 x 8 GB of memory.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

I find that kind of hard to believe on a notebook with an Intel 11th gen core processor.

I would think it should support 2 x 16 GB of memory.

You can verify how much memory your PC can support by doing this...

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator. This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacity and hit enter. There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

If the report shows you can run 32 GB or more memory, this should be a compatible 16 GB memory chip for your notebook...

Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT16G4SFRA32A | Crucial EU

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your reply. Really helpful! The number shown after running that line in the command prompt is 134217728. So after deviding that is 128 GB. Way more then the manuel states. So it will work properly when i put in 2x16GB you think? Then i will order them. Great news 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.