Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 18 (5,050 Views)

External battery to charge HP Spectre 13.3

Product Name: HP Spectre 13.3
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anyone know  of an external power pack I can use to charge my HP Spectre 13.3 i7 ?

Love the computer but I hate the very, very short battery life... it's horrible... less than 3 hours at 100% brightness...

Will this unit work to keep it going?

Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C, Ultra-High Capacity Premium Portable Charger, 20100mAh External Battery, 6A Output Type-C Port for Macbook, Nexus, Nintendo Switch & PowerIQ for iPhone iPad & Samsung

You can find it on Amazon for abot $70...

0 Kudos
Tutor
Message 2 of 18 (4,960 Views)

Re: External battery to charge HP Spectre 13.3

I was looking for the same thing.  Unfortunately, for the Anker you are looking at, at the very end of the Product Description is the line:

- Note: Not compatible with Sony Xperia XZ or Google Pixel, MacBook Pro 2016, Dell XPS 12 9250 (2015), Dell XPS 15 (9550), Dell XPS 13 (9350) or HP Spectre x2, iPod nano / Shuffle / Classic, HP TouchPad, Dell Venue 11 Pro, Asus tablets and some GPS and Bluetooth devices.

The disclaimer makes me want to investigate this more.

Top Student
Message 3 of 18 (4,945 Views)

Cliff,

Thank you for the response... silly to make a laptop as light and easy to carry with such a short life battery!

The only possible solution I have found is a smaller AC 'brick' made by Targus (it works great!) and the possibility of getting a 115AC battery to plug it into... most of them are heavy and bulky... which sort of defeats the whole purpose of having a ultrabook laptop!... it's a real HP planning flaw.

Here's the best AC charger I have found on Amazon... it weighs about 1.5 pounds and is 5x7x1.5 inches meaning it would be bulky and add a lot of weight when you have to carry an AC brick as well.

GrantMaya
24000mAh Black Portable External Battery Power Bank Travel Charger with 5V 3A USB Port and 85W 110V AC Outlet for All Laptops, Notebooks, Tablets, Smartphones, Cameras

Yikes!... there must be a better way to get 45Watts to a USB-C output so you can charge the Specter 13.3 directly...

I'll keep looking. 

Tutor
Message 4 of 18 (4,930 Views)

[ Edited ]

A little more research has turned up the keywords "USB Power Delivery".  It is a feature covered in the USB Spec for how power can be transferred over a USB cable.  Several message threads turn up on this forum is you search on those words.  You can also combine with the words "HP Spectre" and find more articles across the whole web.

What I've been able to figure out so far is it depends on the model year of your Spectre.  If it is the 2016 model, you're out of luck.  HP locked up the USB-C port.  If you have a newer 2017 model with Kaby Lake, you should be able to use anything that meets the USB Power Delivery spec such as the newer Ankers.

It would be nice if HP could confirm this someplace.

Tutor
Message 5 of 18 (4,872 Views)

A search of the web turns up some battery packs that appear to be compatible.  Here is a review that I found:

2017 Spectre x360 and RAVPower Xtreme

Top Student
Message 6 of 18 (4,864 Views)

Interesting... however if you read through the article it says the battery can only put out 30 watts... and that's a bit of a struggle for it.  The HP Spectre 13,3 Kaby Lake 2017 to the best of my knowledge must draw 45 watts to its USB C input port to successfuly charge. 

I will I'll email the company that makes this product and see if it can be juiced up to 45 watts... meaning amps times volts must reach 45.

So far the best and only solution I have found is through WireCutter.com that suggests a battery that delivers 110 AC... the problem with that is you still have to carry a heavy AC producing battery and the huge cord and power brick as well... that's a bit of a circus In your beautiful slim laptop bag.

i bought the Targus small AC adapter to carry whenI travel and that works well in spite of a warning that 

pops up from HP that calls it an unauthorized charger... good grief... we don't need to be called into 

the principals office... we are just trying to lighten the load!

I'll let you know what I hear back on the battery you suggested... thank you for the follow up...

still searching....

Honor Student
Message 7 of 18 (4,296 Views)

Hi guys,

Does anyone here found a portable battery that is compatible with Spectre 13 ?

Have anyone tried the RavPower 26800 ?

I saw a Cygnett Chargeup 26800 at 45W with Power Delivery.  haven't tried though coz the store wont allow me to test it with my laptop..:-(

hope anyone can share some solution to a wonderful laptop that's short of  juice ! :-)

Honor Student
Message 8 of 18 (4,295 Views)

Tutor
Message 9 of 18 (4,155 Views)

[ Edited ]

Check this video on few powerbanks and USB-C outlets testing with Macbook and HP Spectre x360 2017 13"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dVv4rd3s9w

(you can search for hp spectre x360 and ravpower and it will come first)

It says that RavPower 26800 PD (Power Delivery) actually can charge 13" Spectre. I found similiar statements in Amazon reviews of RavPower. So it seems 13" Spectre 360 can be charged from powerbank.

Same time, I do have 15" Spectre x360 (2017, Kaby Lake) and it won't charge from RavPower 26800 powerbank, unfortunately. It seems this is blocked by BIOS or something. This is weird and definetely wrong.

In this video we look at powering your laptop via the USB-C port and what kind of powerbanks, batteries and chargers (both USB-C and USB Type A) work with different laptops. In this video we try and charge... Apple Macbook Pro 15 Inch 2017 Kabylake HP Spectre x360 13 Inch 2017 Kabylake Using the ...
Top Student
Message 10 of 18 (4,138 Views)

There still seems to be no solution for the HP Spectre 13.3 Kaby Lake 2017 ... the best USB C external battery is still only at about 30 Watts and this computer needs 45Watts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation