Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,355
Message 11 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Rlaing1955,

Thanks for the update.

As I see that you have tried to perform system recovery and still seems to have the issue. Don't worry as I have few other suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Just wanted to check if you have tried to connect another USB keyboard to the same port and check if that works.

Alternatively, could you let me know if other USB devices work on this port on the computer. 

Could you please respond to this post with the details as this will help me in further assisting you.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Rlaing1955
Author
Level 2
12 11 0 5
Message 12 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a DasKeyboard and a cheap Insignia keyboard. The Descriptor error will show for the Daskeyboard and the Insignia drops and reconnects randomly. 

When I did a recovery from the recovery partition it did the same thing.  Then Windows auto-updated to Current new 1809 fall update same thing.

I am thinking it is a mechanical issue and of course, the unit is past warranty. The whole time I have had this unit I have used it as a docked unit only with the daskeyboard and an LG 27 inch 4k monitor.  The unit was put into service 03/03/2017. I am considering getting a USB C-hub and docking through it. I do not know if that will improve the situation or not. Again it seems like USB 2.0 is the issue or it is a mechanical issue. My USB 3.0 thumb drives seem to connect and disconnect as they should but there is no way to tell if they would randomly drop.

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,355
Message 13 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Rlaing1955,

Thank you for replying,

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I would suggest here is to run a sfc scan on your PC. 

Perform SFC Scan:   

1. Use Windows shortcut keys Win + X to open the quick menu and then select Command Prompt (Admin).   

2. At the command prompt, type the following command sfc /scannow   

3. Press ENTER   

4. The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files. Note Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished. 

Let me know the oustcome!

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Rlaing1955
Author
Level 2
12 11 0 5
Message 14 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Running sfc /scannow returned "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,085
Message 15 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Rlaing1955, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Here is the list of reasons why this unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed) error happens:

Windows cannot find the description of the USB device in question.
The USB device that reports error code 43 cannot communicate properly with computer, as there might be a connection issue.
The device is using corrupted, damaged or outdated drivers.
There are errors in some software or hardware components, for example, USB port is broken.
The USB controller you are using is corrupted or unstable.
BIOS system is not updated to the latest version.
The USB drive is damaged, such as it contains bad sectors.

Disable Fast Startup to fix USB device failure

Step 1  Press "Windows" key and "R" key from the keyboard at the same time to open Run dialog box.

Step 2  Type "control" in searching box and click "OK" button. This will open the Control Panel.

Step 3  Type "Power options" in the search box of Control panel and click "Change what the power buttons do" from searching result.

Step 4  Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" link under Define power buttons and turn on password protection.

Step 5  Unselect "Turn on Fast Startup (recommended)" option under Shutdown settings and click "Save changes" button. Then restart the computer and check if the USB device issue solves.

Disable USB Selective Suspend Settings

Step 1  Open Control Panel and click System Security, and you can find and click Power Options. If you are using the laptop, you can right-click on the battery icon and select Power Options.

Step 2  Expand "Show additional plans" and click "Change plan settings" link which belongs to High-performance option.

Step 3  Click "Change advanced power settings" from the lower part.

Step 4  On the Advanced settings tab find and expand "USB settings". Then expand the sub-category "USB selective suspend setting".

Step 5  Select Disabled for both "On battery" and "Plugged in" settings. Click "OK" and "Apply" buttons and reboot the computer.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Try performing a push button reset on your PC.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a push button reset on your PC. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Rlaing1955
Author
Level 2
12 11 0 5
Message 16 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. It is obvious you did not read the complete thread.

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,085
Message 17 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Rlaing1955, Thanks for your quick response again.

Did you try the keyboard on a different PC does the issue persist?

Have you connecting the receiver to a different USB port does the issue persist?

Also, as you mentioned even after performing a recovery the issue still persists.

If the keyboard works fine on a different PC it is an issue with the USB port which has gone faulty.

I would share you few details through a private message for service options.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Have a pleasant day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Rlaing1955
Author
Level 2
12 11 0 5
Message 18 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have bevobe aware of driver issues. I stripped system to fresh recovery back to windows 1607 that system came with. Laptop reliably found keyboard. Now through the update process to 1803 I'm back to system not finding or keeping keyboard. Second recovery. What is HP doing with this??? I have too many hours invested!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation