Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am from Europe.

My laptop gets very very hot, but it has only turned off due to overheating once so I'm not sure I could claim it is a faulty product just yet.

However, it is getting hotter and hotter and I think eventually it will break down.

There may well be a legal case against HP with these products and I know the level of consumer protection is pretty high in Europe. However, as a law student myself I know it would a monumental challenge to take on a company like HP!

HP Recommended

These are the provisions in consumer law as they apply to the UK :

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/phones_tv_internet_and_computers_index_e/consumer_p...

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/pa...

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/

European legislation is similar so you don't need a lot of money to take on the likes of HP.

HP Recommended

Sounds like your GPU fan has stopped. There should be settings of the fan speed in the graphics driver options, but sadly HP has in most cases disabled these options. Good luck have fun! I have been asking for new graphics drivers or at least unlocked authentic AMD driver for 6 months now, you aren't going to get any help from HP....

HP Recommended

There is only one fan on the dv6, there are two plates on the cpu and gpu connected  to the fan heatsink grills via a hotpipe. The possibility is that the gpu heatsinking is inadequate due to:

1. Poor contact to the heatsink - in this case a piece of crappy blue plastic

2. Solder contacts to the motherboard have deteriorated due to generated heat

or both, of course.

Option 3 : crap design.

Take your pick.

HP Recommended

Vitdom try this out, a third party person who creates AMD driver packages for dual GPU laptops, I have just done it after waiting ages for a driver all is well so far except for bf3 causing my CPU to heat up quiet a bit but i think it happened before i installed the update anyway. It is a little bit complicated but worth it.

http://leshcatlabs.net/

HP Recommended

Can HP guys help its customers in this regard? Are they even listening or have they kept their eyes n ears closed to the greviences customers are facing because of excessive heating? Kindly provide with some soultion.

HP Recommended

My experience with hp notebooks is that a majority of them will overheat, the trick is you have to do preventative maintenance to them before this happens such as: dismantle and clean out dust and replace heat sinc compound (high quality) if constantly in a dusty environment do this every 6 months or when you can hear the cooling fan speeding up more constantly.

If it has gone past this stage where it is shutting down, I found one method that brings it back to life 90% of the time, just do maintenance as described above with the exception of making sure the surfaces between heat sinc and processor/video chip are spotlessly clean, then take a "dry scouring sponge" and carefully polish surfaces, also "if there is enough physical space" buy a small length of copper tube 5mm diameter or smaller, shape the tube to follow alongside original heat sinc path then use a vice to flatten tube but making sure not to lose shape, place along side heat sinc with H S grease/paste at the processor end and secure it as best as you can, I personally use house hold copper tie straps used for securing electrical cables but anything that can secure it without melting is fine, don't use zip ties as they will melt. also use speed fan to change fan speed to run at full speed all the time, might be noisy but at least it will stop it from overheating, I cant guarantee this will be successful if the notebook has already shut down overheating as the components are very fragile and may already been damaged beyond redemption.

hope this helps.

HP Recommended

hi please help me fix my HP sound and wireless touch. everything was working perfectly until recently i installed windows 8 and it worked fine. some few weeks later when i touch my sound bottom to switch it on and off and that of the wireless it didnt work so i thaught windows 8 had some drivers issues. so i decied to format and install windows 7 and still its not work even if the drivers for wireless is not available it shows blue light as tho its working. Please what do i do to fix this issue.

Thank You

HP Recommended

Hi quame,

One of the problems that you had when upgrading is that your particular model doesn't have drivers for Windows 8. For the Windows 7 issues let's look at using the HP Recovery Manager to restore the original software that came with the printer. I have included a document below that will walk you through reinstalling the initial software use it to reinstall your webcam software (which actually should be HP MediaSmart Webcam Software, you should uninstall Cyberlink webcam software), your audio driver and wireless adapter.

Using HP Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers Windows 7:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01868333

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your reply...i must say that my windows is not a factory windows that came with the pc so i cannot find Recovery Manager under all programs.

Thank You

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.