Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv5-1225et Entertainment PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

As soon as I start the computer, the fan starts running at full power and it never stops or changes operating speed until I turn it off. Normally the fan starts up when it gets warm up, but even when the pc is cold, it runs at full power at first startup and continues like that. This problem is not related to warming in my opinion. The problem has not changed even though I have done a bios update. I think the answer to my problem is in the last message of the link but it is hidden. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Laptop-Fans-run-at-max-speed-the-whole-time/td-p/6830...

I would be very happy if you can help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @ffurkanh,

Have you checked in the BIOS to ensure that the fan is not set to "Always on"?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Fan Always on is one of the default settings of my bios. Its enabled now but making disabling is not solve the problem. The fan stops yes but still not normal. it often runs in at full speed and comes out suddenly. Still doesn't run at normal speed.

HP Recommended

Putting the Fan selection to other than Always on lets the BIOS algorithm control the speed of the fan based on the Delta T (change in temperature).

That is indeed normal fan operation for notebook and desktop PCs.

The fan runs at the speed it is supposed to in order to cool down and protect your investment.

Yours is, if I recognize the series number, an older product. Have you used PC air in a can to clean the notebooks intakes and exhaust ports? You should do that  at least once  a year or so.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I don't think the answer is there. I have been using this pc for years and have never changed this setting and the fan was not working that way either.

In other words, whichever option we choose, the fan does not work as it should. If we turn off the "Fan always on" option, it doesn't operate at slow and medium speeds. Either at full strength or not at all.

HP Recommended

" I have been using this pc for years "

It is an older laptop which may be reaching the end of its service life and exhibiting odd behavior as you are seeing..

As soon as I saw "Pavilion dv5 series model" in the product name I already was aware of that.

It is likely that it is time for you to consider sourcing a newer version that fits within your budget.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.