Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-bw069na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have notebook HP 15-bw069na (AMD radeon A9 9420 R5). My main problem with laptop is FPS drops during gaming. To be more specified - League of Legends.  When I start the game my FPS holds up to 80. Few minutes later it randomly drops to 10 causing me freezes in game.  As I see in my task manager my CPU usage is high, sometimes near 100%.  At first I thought it is something about game. but then I installed another game Diablo 2 which is game from year 2000. When more npc were spawned i got mini freezes. I think this laptop more than good for game like this one. I googled and found some topics about this issue for other laptops but that did not help me. What did I do and what do I know:

1) Situation does not depends on game graphics. No matter which one high or low settings are on - result is the same.

2) My laptop's temperature is not high, I also have additional cooling pad.

3) My windows are up to date. Drivers are also up to date through HP assistant.

4) My video card graphics driver is up to date (AMD radeon version 19.11.3)

5) My bios are up to date (F.51)

6) High performance plan is activated

7) Visual effects are adjusted for performance.

😎 I installed SSD instead of HDD - result is almost the same (slightly better)

9) I reinstalled windows - result is almost the same (slightly better)

10) I installed additional 4GB of RAMS - nothing changed

I think I mentioned everything. Everything works great apart of gaming, even old games. Maybe you have some advice on this issue? I have old laptop Hp g62 107sa and it works better during gaming than this one laptop... 

I also noticed that AMD has 2 drivers AMD radeon adrenaline which is currently is updated and AMD radeon catalyst center. Since windows installed first one by default I updated this driver. Or do I have to get both of them ?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Edvis
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Reducing the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly. 

Here's how you do it: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• Click Apply and ok...this should do the trick. 

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved) 

And, also try to disable " turbo mode"
Here's a video on how to disable the "turbo mode" that causes this issue: Click here 

You may have to restart the PC for the changes to take effect, then try disabling overdrive, restart the game to see if it fixes it. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank You for an answer. I did HP troubleshoot thing and visual effects were already adjusted for performance. I also disabled "turbo mode" but the results remained the same. During gaming (league of legends) my fps still randomly drops from 60+ to 10 and it makes game keep freezing for a few seconds then it goes back to normal and then randomly drop again.

Interesting thing that FPS drops do not happen during certain situations - like when there are a lot of players in one place or there a lot of animations. It happens randomly, even when I stand alone and do not perform any  on animations depending actions. I also noticed that I can play on high visual setting and on very low visual settings and I can not feel any difference.  It looks like FPS drops do not depend on visual settings in this situation. Maybe my notebook is too low for online gaming... but it is strange since league of legends is not requiring a lot of resources from the PC and has it's own mode for low specs machines.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.