Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-AN000NL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everybody,

I'm really struggling with the RAM upgrade of my HP Star Wars AN-000NL Edition.

Actually I have 8GB installed on SLOT #1 with a DDR3L-PC3-12800 DUAL (from CPU-Z)

I bought an exact same kind of SODIMM but PC does not boot at all. Then I saw that engraved on free slot it is written "DDR3 STD 1.5V". I found it weird that one slot runs at 1.35V and the other one at 1.5V, but whatever. So I went to an hardware store, tried a lot of configuration, but on the free slot there's no way to put a DDR3L 1.35V. PC won't boot.

So I bought a 4GB DDR3-PC3 1.5V SODIMM.

Installed, system boots, Windows starts, but both BIOS and Windows don't see the upgrade. Only CPU-Z sees the added memory. 

What can I do? I'd like to avoid to buy and return SODIMM like there's no tomorrow. I would like to know exactly which kind of memory I have to buy. I also tried to use Crucial website, but for my PC it's suggesting me DDR3L 1.35V which I know for sure aren't working.

Please help!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@dany118d
Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see you need help in upgrading the Ram, on Star Wars™ Special Edition Notebook - 15-an000nl notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you.

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that you have 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 8 GB) installed on the PC.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to go through the Maintenance and Service guide of your HP notebook, and found that your PC supports Two SODIMM slots - NON-customer accessible/upgradeable.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry?

@Echo_Lake wrote:

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake wrote:

@dany118d
Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see you need help in upgrading the Ram, on Star Wars™ Special Edition Notebook - 15-an000nl notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you.

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that you have 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 8 GB) installed on the PC.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to go through the Maintenance and Service guide of your HP notebook, and found that your PC supports Two SODIMM slots - NON-customer accessible/upgradeable.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

I already checked everything on user and service manual you mentioned.  That's not the point at all. My issue is that two slots equipped with the exact same kind of SODIMMs are not working. And there's no way to make them work if I add a DDR3L on slot #2. PC won't boot (blinking caps lock led). I don't know if my PC was refurbished, but it's not working accordingly to manual. The only way to have it running is to install a DDR3 standard, but the memory isn't recognized. So, right know I know that I need a DDR3 Standard (1.5v) but as you probably know, there are different types (ecc, non-ecc, ecc..). And I was hoping that someone could point me out which SODIMM I would have to buy. 

HP Recommended

@dany118d

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest you contact our HP part store in order to purchase the correct part.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake wrote:

@dany118d

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest you contact our HP part store in order to purchase the correct part.

HP Part store says "This part is not yet available for purchase". So, either you could contact part store guys for me or else I don't know what to do. Except to give up and stop buying HP laptops.

HP Recommended

@dany118d

these parts are universal and you can try shopping around online websites using the part number. 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.