Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 2016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop makes a faint screeching sound when a high resource program runs, and its not too often. It comes once in a day or maybe not. Should I be worried? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@suhi_suhaas,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

• Have you tried to run any test on the computer from F2?
  • Does the computer freeze lockup or shutdown?
  • Did you perform a bios update on the machine?

screeching sound can be due to hardware issue. Let's try to run an extensive system test from F2 and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second.

When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are

shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it

available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in

Test Logs on the main menu.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Depending on the test results if the test fails please capture the 24 character failure  code and contact our HP support team for further assistance. 

If the test passes, I would suggest you could try to update the Bios, and Chipset drivers on your PC either from our HP support website, using this link or download it using HP support Assistant. 

To download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Once done, restart the computer. 

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the wrong assumption. Thats actually due to power port. When ever I plug in my laptop to AC adapter, laptop's making a faint screeching sound near the power port.

HP Recommended

@suhi_suhaas,

In this scenario, let's try these steps here: 

Please try with a different power cord and adapter.

You don't have to buy one if possible you can check with your friend or step into Best Buy or staples to isolate the issue to the power cord and not the computer. 

If the noise does not occur with another adapter, then the charger in question needs to be replaced. 

If it continues to happen even with a different adapter, then then notebook needs to be service. 

Let me know the outcome.

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Actually my friend has the same laptop and tried with his charger.The outcome was same.Though his laptop also making the sound but a little lower than me.But yea It was the same outcome.Its making a little mess in there...A faint screeching like Xerox machine😅😁

HP Recommended

And also what could be the reason for that. Let me know.

HP Recommended

@suhi_suhaas

This issue seems to be happening due to some faulty electrical contacts in the Port. Since you have already checked with a different AC Adapter, I suggest you try updating the BIOS and if the issue persists you can contact HP Support for Service Option

BIOS update: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.