Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Original thread here

Since 2019, the fan on my HP 250 G4 constantly runs at full throttle. It started out as "revving" at first, but now constantly runs at 100% all the time, even right when I turn the computer on after its been off for a few hours. Very occasionally, the fan will spin down and operate normally for a few days, after which it will start to rev again and revert back to spinning at 100% all the time. It is not overheating. I've confirmed this by actually putting my finger on the heat sink assembly right above the CPU while the computer is running, and it's cool to the touch.

Here's what I've done...

• Monitor temps and CPU usage (OK)
  • Blew the dust out of the heat sink
  • Reapplied the thermal paste between the heat sink and CPU
  • Reconnected the fan
  • Cleared CMOS (removed internal battery)
  • Reinstall Windows 10 (clean install)
  • Replaced external battery (old one was failing and causing the power adapter to randomly disconnect, so i thought that was related)
  • Upgraded HDD to a SSD a few weeks ago
  • Tested fan in HP Diagnostics under component tests (says not supported)
  • Tried adjusting settings with CoolSense

I believe this all started after a BIOS update, 28 or 29 if I remember correctly. Currently it has the latest BIOS version installed (31).  I don't know what else to try, and I seriously doubt that replacing the fan will solve the issue. Any suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.