Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy x360 2-in-1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I just bought Envy x360 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory and I found it is making noise even if I am not doing anything. 

I completed my account setup and install chrome and started using the laptop; the noise is continuouly coming up- not sure cooling fan or HD noise. 

I am thinking to replace it (might be defective) or return it. 

Please advice if anyone has any experience with this model. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Hard drive noise is usually a rhythmic "click" not a sustained "whirr".  We can test the hard drive in the BIOS to confirm its HDD or FAN. Tap F2 as you power up to enter UEFI diagnostics and look for the hard drive test. If you do not have UEFI diagnostics (i.e. your laptop came with Windows 7 not Windows 😎 then tap F10 and look for a hard drive diagnostic in the old-school BIOS interface. 

Sometimes the Fan issues can be fixed by self-help such as blowing out the fan with compressed air. 

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Hard drive noise is usually a rhythmic "click" not a sustained "whirr".  We can test the hard drive in the BIOS to confirm its HDD or FAN. Tap F2 as you power up to enter UEFI diagnostics and look for the hard drive test. If you do not have UEFI diagnostics (i.e. your laptop came with Windows 7 not Windows 😎 then tap F10 and look for a hard drive diagnostic in the old-school BIOS interface. 

Sometimes the Fan issues can be fixed by self-help such as blowing out the fan with compressed air. 

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there. Bought this laptop less than a week ago and last night was using it in tablet mode and within 5 minutes of drawing inking the fan became quite loud. How do I minimize the fan noise? Also, I installed Minecraft and it keeps crashing

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.