Grad Student
202 154 5 13
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan Running Constantly

HP Pavilion 17-e067cl
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I had a complete freeze of the Operating System, due to heat I think, and perhaps a Hard Drive going bad.  The Operating system would not start, and then it did come to desktop but was frozen.  Tested HDD and it was starting to fail, and laptop was needing a full cleaning inside, including Thermal Paste.  Now HDD is replaced and pc all cleanded out, thermal paste and all, getting ready to Install Windows 8, but the Fan is constantly running on High.  

I know some of these AMD Based Laptops the fans are always churning, so is this normal for this particular Model?  

I went into BIOS Setup and "Disabled" "Fan Always On" also, which seemed to make a little difference but not much.

I also wonder if/when the OS has been installed it will get better.

I'm a little hesitant to Flash the BIOS as I've heard many nightmares doing this on HP Hardware, but don't know how true it actually is?

Thanks, pc

2 REPLIES 2
Intern Intern
Intern
27 27 1 3
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan Running Constantly

You should be fine updating the bios without a problem and there are always inportant updates inside them. Update all drivers and BIOS  then see if the issue persists.  Select the operating system in the link below and then download and update drivers/bios. Make sure ac is plugged in when updating BIOS.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-17-e000-notebook-pc-series/5375409/model...

I am an HP employee

***If my post helped, click the purple thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***
0 Kudos
Grad Student
Grad Student
202 154 5 13
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan Running Constantly

Thanks very much Thomas_R, I may go ahead and Flash the BIOS, though not very confident it is going to help.  I know this is one of the first things suggested by HP, but not sure why it would help.  It's the same OS that the pc came with so I think it shold function properly with this BIOS.  I tried to find more folks that had success Flashing BIOS to fix Fan Speed Problems to no avail.  

If a BIOS Flash would fix ANY Fan Speed Problems then why wouldn't HP Post that as one of the Fixes I wonder.  I read though all of them and none say they fix fan speed problems.

There is No Operating System Installed yet, and the Fan is still running at full tilt, but quite sure (if not positive) it is not running Hot.

Also, wondering if the Laptop Overheating caused the Fan Sensors to Malfuntion, and if there is a way of testing that?  

Thanks again for the Support, pc

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation