Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smemc
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan constantly running!

I have the same problem. But my cpu doesn't overheat. Its stable at 31c but the fan is constantly on at the same speed.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,384 2,211
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan constantly running!

Hi @Smemc,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand you are having issues with your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model of the notebook? Please use this link to help you find this information: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Have you tried to update the Bios?'

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

I have a few steps to resolve this issue:  

Symptoms of heat issues and causes of excessive heat  

The following list describes some of the issues caused by overheating in the notebook:  

• Games stop responding during play.  

• Windows stops responding during use.  

• Fans inside the notebook become louder because they are spinning faster as the laptop gets hot, to remove the heat.  

• When starting the laptop, it sometimes stops at a black screen and does not open into Windows. Windows usually stop responding when it does open.  

The following list describes some causes of excessive heat:  

• Dust inside the laptop.  

• A new component, such as a hard drive, is added. The extra component causes the power supply to work harder and generate more heat. Extra heat also radiates off the new component and adds to the temperature inside the case.  

• Over time, some cooling fans might slow down and wear out, as the laptop is getting hot, depending on the usage of the laptop.  

• High ambient room temperature.  

Step 1: Removing dust and lint by cleaning vents  

Step 2: Ensuring proper space for ventilation  

Step 3: Updating the BIOS  

Step 4: Using HP CoolSense technology  

Step 5: Placing the notebook in a cooler room  

Step 6: Testing for hardware failure  

If the hardware has failed, capture the failure ID and revert for further assistance.  

If the Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal: Click here for more details. 

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Smemc
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan constantly running!

I have a HP model 15-ac1563sa notebook. The problem is that the Fan is constantly ON even though the laptop does not have high temprature. The airoutlet throws out cold air. The cpu is not heavy at all its maximum only 3% as I can see it in task manager.

I recently updated the BIOS. I checked the BIOS and the setting was set to fan constantly on. I disabled that in the BIOS but still there is no effect on the fan. It seems as if the BIOS has no control on the fan.

Please tell me how can I make the BIOS to control the Fan again?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan constantly running!

Hi @Smemc,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you are having issues with the fan running constantly. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

The computer fan starts up automatically to cool internal components and prevent overheating. It is normal for the internal fan to cycle on and off during routine operation. This is a system managed and as long as you don't have any issues with fan making loud noise/ temperature getting above 45 C/ computer shutdown due to overheating then it's considered to be  a hardware failure. 

Answering to your question, about making the Bios control the Fan? No, there is no such option available through which you can make any changes in the Bios.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Smemc
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan constantly running!

Hi Jeet,

Well this is the issue that the fan turns on and never stops. As I told you that the temprature never reaches 45c, it remains at 31c. The problem is that the fan is supposed to slow down or turn itself off, which it does not. 

The nosie from the fan is load but obviously it is not any abnormal noise, its a normal fast fan running noise. This is basically my issue that when the cpu or any components in the computer are not hot then why is the fan on?

I think the BIOS needs another upgrade. Please let me know if there is any other solution to this.

Regards,

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fan constantly running!

Hi @Smemc,

As I understand you have already tried updating the drivers, as well as running the test and all seems to be working, I would personally suggest this could be a Mechanical failure. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation