Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my laptops fan started making this really loud rattling noise. It makes me very self-conscience about me when I'm in public, so I just don't bother bringing it along. But I really need my laptop with me. The sound usually comes out at random.

I've searched the HP Part Picker Store and under the fan section it just lists the fan pad, which isn't what I need. I do believe that I need to completely replace the fan at this point (I've tried fixing the problem from cleaning the fan out from dust to checking it for any damage, but can't find what the problem is).

Would anyone know where I can find a replacement fan for my laptop and would I need to buy it with the whole heat sink and thermal compound? I'm pretty experience in computer repair so I have some confidence that I can do it, plus my warranty expired in 2014 so I won't be voiding that anyways.

If it helps any, the product # is A3E83AV.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The noise is usually caused by a failing fan motor bearing.

You were at the wrong item name.

What you need is the discrete thermal module, which contains the fan an heat sinks for the CPU and video.

The part number for your notebook's product number is 682061-001. It is on the following HP PartSurfer web document.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=A3E83AV

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The noise is usually caused by a failing fan motor bearing.

You were at the wrong item name.

What you need is the discrete thermal module, which contains the fan an heat sinks for the CPU and video.

The part number for your notebook's product number is 682061-001. It is on the following HP PartSurfer web document.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=A3E83AV

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

You'd think that it would be under fan, not connector 😕

Plus "Discrete Thermal Module" doesn't really make it fully clear that its the fan and heatsink.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.