Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-by3008nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi community !

Is there anyone in the community who owns an HP 17-by3008nl notebook? I just bought this notebook and would like to ask someone who owns the same model a question about the fan (always on in my notebook).

Many thanks in advance !

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Davide28

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Are you getting system fan error or cooling fan error message?
  • What seems to be the issue? Could you elaborate more? 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo_Lake,

many thanks for your reply !

No, there are no errors or warnings related to the cooling system and the PC is working perfectly. The strange behavior is that the fan never stops but always runs at low speed, even if I leave the PC idle for several minutes. I think this is strange because I own another HP PC with a similar processor (Intel i7 - 8550U) whose fan is almost always stopped.

So the question is simple: is it correct that the fan never stops? And if so, why?

Doesn't the processor slow down the speed enough to cool the system?

Many thanks in advance for your help !

Davide

HP Recommended

@Davide28
Thank you for posting back.

Use the following steps:

• Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

For more information on reducing heat inside your computer, see Reducing Heat Inside the PC.

• After you remove the dust, turn on the computer. If the error message persists, continue with these steps.
  • Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

For more information on performing a hard reset, see Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.

• In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent this error from occurring. For more information on how to update the BIOS, see Updating the BIOS.

Most causes of the Laptop fan running constantly can be traced down to high CPU utilization caused by Windows updates or other applications. ... It is normal for the fan to run when the CPU thermal temperature rises.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Echo_Lake,

thanks for your prompt reply.

Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

The computer is new, I bought it just a month ago so I think the ventilation opening is clear. Anyway I checked it and I confirm that there are no obstacles in the vent flow.

After you remove the dust, turn on the computer. If the error message persists, continue with these steps.

No error messages are displayed, the computer is working properly.

Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

No luck with this step either.

In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent this error from occurring. For more information on how to update the BIOS, see Updating the BIOS.

BIOS, drivers and all the software is updated. Both "HP Support Assistant" and "Windows Update" report that no updates are needed.

HP_System_Info.gif

Most causes of the Laptop fan running constantly can be traced down to high CPU utilization caused by Windows updates or other applications. ... It is normal for the fan to run when the CPU thermal temperature rises.

I've cheched also this but I've found no background activities when PC is idle. I'm currently using Microsoft Edge to write this message, no other software is running but the fan never stops. This is the CPU usage log (sorry for the Italian language).

CPU_Graph.gif

Hope this information can help you identify the cause, let me know if you need any more information.

Many thanks again !

HP Recommended

@Davide28

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.