5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Fan to high with no overheating

HP Recommended
HP 14-ba012nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,
I just bought a HP 14-ba012nl and there is something odd. The fan is very noisy, even if I have open just Google Chrome and the usage of CPU is around 1%

The noise is quite high, can be listened from 1 meter away
I have installed all the updates that Win 10 provide to me.

This is happening from day 1.

Is there anything I can check or do to avoid that?

Is quite annoing and can be a hint that something is wrong, because the laptop shouldn't be hot without any big task running, so the fan should run that fast

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
sandytechy20
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
28,017 27,861 1,521 1,617
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DavideIo

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that the fan is noisy on your  notebook. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

Update your Notebook computer BIOS.

Keep notebook air vents clear and clean.

Increase the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat.

Use Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes.

Select power save settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use.

Click here and refer the document to perform the above steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I just bought a HP 14-ba012nl

> I have installed all the updates that Win 10 provide to me.

> This is happening from day 1.

The first time that a "fresh" Windows 10 installation has an Internet connection, it launches Windows Update as a "background" task.  This consumes resources:

* CPU (100% of one of the dual-CPU or dual-CPU-with-hyperthreading or quad-core-CPU)

Internally, Windows spreads out the CPU requirements of Windows Update across all the cores.

But, this processing does heat-up the CPU, and the motherboard reacts to the heat by speeding-up the fan, which causes the extra noise that you are hearing.

Open Windows Task Manager, and select the "Performance" tab.

At the bottom of this window, click "Performance Monitor", and select its "Performance" tab.

Then, you can drill-down to see which tasks are using the most CPU, and which files are being read/written (possibly by the anti-virus software doing a scan).

Tell us what you see.

DavideIo
Author
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, thank you both for the answers

I did everything suggested on the first reply but sadly no results

Then I partially decreased the noise by disabling the Cool Sense option (i read what it does and it made sense it was that noisy)

Still, with only Chrome open and less then 10% of cpu running is making more noise then every laptop I used in the last years in the same idle situation

I attach a photo of task manager (sorry if I don't put a regular screenshot but I am not writing from that pc)

IMG_20171212_003759.jpg

I monitored the laptop for several minutes and is pretty nuch always like this

Do you have any ideas? It is something that I should be concerned? So far i didn't stressed that much the laptop, but I am worried for when I will install some videogame or heavy app

Thanks

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  This is happening from day 1. Is there anything I can check or do to avoid that?

Always keep the laptop on a hard surface, so that the air intake vents on the bottom can get room-temperature air.

Never put the laptop onto a soft cloth (to try to protect the computer from scratching the table.

Never put the laptop onto your lap-top.

What is the room temperature?

Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run it, to show the temperature of the motherboard, of the CPU, of the disk-drive, and the RPM speed of the fan.  Run it just after booting Windows.  Run it every 10 minutes after that, and record the values.

DavideIo
Author
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will definetly do the test with SPECCY, I will post the results in a couple of days

The room temperature is not the issue, in my country is winter so inside the room is about 20 ° celsius

The suggestion to avoid to keep the laptop on your lap make sense, I will try to use it only on the table. I'm wondering if also keeping the laptop close on itself (has a 360 degree monitor) will make the same behaviour (I hope not, that would be a poor architecture choice!!!)

thanks a lot guys

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  I'm wondering if also keeping the laptop closed on itself (has a 360 degree monitor) will make the same behaviour (I hope not, that would be a poor architecture choice!!!)

You are correct -- that would be a bad design.

Air-flow is designed for cool air to enter from the sides or bottom, and the warm air to be exhausted from the sides/back.

The keyboard and case are designed to keep contamination (Xmas cookie crumbs ???) from getting near the motherboard.  :generic:

Similarly, the top-edge of the screen is where any warmed air should exhaust.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation