Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 p239sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All

Well you'd think this would be easy...!

I've upgraded my laptop with an 860 EVO SSD and it's great...! But the processor (i3-5010U) is maxing out much more as a result so looking to upgrade. 

Bu,t can I find the processor upgrade information for this model - not to save my life...! (I've tried the HP method of looking up product specification page and also searching on keywords - I suspect they would prefer I buy a new laptop (of course...!)

Would really appreciate it if someone can point me to a resource and put me out of my misery...!

Thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

it is the case with any manufacturer's laptop made in the last few years.

There may have been a couple of pavilion models with Intel 4th gen processors that had removable processors, but 5th gen and newer, no. 

The processors and graphics are all integral parts of the motherboard.

Some high end business class mobile workstations have removable graphics cards, but the processors are still an integral part of the motherboard.

Here is the link to your notebook's service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04511833

Chapter 3 has the list of supported motherboards with the different processor and graphics configurations.

You will find no procedure in chapter 6 to remove and replace the processor or the graphics adapter.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi - just found the phrase in the service and maintenance manual 'the processor is attached to the main board', it's not looking like I can upgrade the processor - I'd be pleased if someone can confirm this is the case with all Pavilion 15 series laptops.....

I won't be cheering if this is the case  - but lesson learnt I guess...!

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

it is the case with any manufacturer's laptop made in the last few years.

There may have been a couple of pavilion models with Intel 4th gen processors that had removable processors, but 5th gen and newer, no. 

The processors and graphics are all integral parts of the motherboard.

Some high end business class mobile workstations have removable graphics cards, but the processors are still an integral part of the motherboard.

Here is the link to your notebook's service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04511833

Chapter 3 has the list of supported motherboards with the different processor and graphics configurations.

You will find no procedure in chapter 6 to remove and replace the processor or the graphics adapter.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul - much appreciated.

I hadn't realized this was the case with newer laptops.

I had upgraded the processor in my Thinkpad which is still going strong with Linux......

Hmmm, will have to gently start looking at what to get as a replacement.

Kind Regards

Mike

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Mike.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.