Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 G2 Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I current have installed Synaptics FP Sensors (WBF) (PID=003f) driver for my biometric device.
I set it up in Windows Hello Fingerprint Sign-in options and it says it is ready to go however I am not given the option to use my fingerprint at sign-in. Fingerprint is also enabled in BIOS.

Any help is appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Tmadd 

Ideas:

If you have managed to update your Windows to V1909, then you may have updated beyond the support level that the fingerprint driver can support.  IF that is the case, there is nothing to do but wait and hope for an update to be released.  Certainly you should try (information below); (then) if it all crumbles into a V1909 pile of refuse, then there you go:  Wait for something to change (updated drivers, for example).

Continuing...

If you have not done so, add (or check) your Windows PIN login setup.  PIN (as far as I know) is still a prerequisite for using fingerprint login.

You may benefit from updating the fingerprint driver to a newer version (keeping in mind the possible issue with Windows V1909 mentioned earlier).

Before you update the fingerprint driver, make sure your other HP software and drivers ("Not fingerprint") are updated.  For example, if needed (check your version), update the BIOS and / or chipset.

Reminder – Manually Update the BIOS

How to install BIOS Updates:

Select the option to manually install the BIOS update.

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Support Assistant - Notify me

Open HPSA Software

Settings > Set to “Notify” as opposed to “Auto-Update”

Save Changes > Restart the computer and log in

Open HPSA

Check for Updates > Use the list to determine candidates for update

If BIOS is offered, set to “ignore” or otherwise remove this update from list of potential updates

Install other HP software and updates using HPSA or manually install those updates

Check Current BIOS version

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System Information

System Summary - Check the information next to BIOS Version / Date 

Consider / Try

Assuming you had the fingerprint reader / driver working before, then you already have a Windows PIN login set up and ready to go.  Should there be a problem with the PIN, in most cases, you will receive a notice from Windows that there is an issue - you can then reset the PIN as needed.

Reference

Microsoft - Fix problems with your PIN

Continue...

Assuming you have completed the following:

• HP software and drivers have been updated on your computer, for OTHER than the fingerprint reader driver, including the latest chipset and BIOS for your computer.
  • Windows Updates are current and completed.  You are updated to Windows V1903 

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Windows V1909 is possible to have been added to your system but is perhaps not yet supported on general distribution at this writing - there is likely no workaround if the available fingerprint driver will not work in V1909 - you will have to wait for a new driver.

Continuing...

After other "not fingerprint" updates are completed, update the fingerprint reader driver

Basics - Update / install the fingerprint driver

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager 

Open Biometrics

Right-Click on your fingerprint driver > Uninstall

Open your computer's website support page  (how to find computer homepage later in this message)

Open Category Software and Drivers (exact wording varies)

Open Section Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices

OR

Newer fingerprint Driver -  Download and Save

sp91494.exe

Information / Description files:

sp91494.cva

sp91494.html

Download-Save the latest fingerprint reader driver

NOTE:  The exact name of the driver varies - usually contains the word "fingerprint".

Open File Explorer (formally Windows Explorer)

Navigate to the folder in which you saved the fingerprint driver installation package (likely Downloads)

Double-tap on the installation file to install the driver

After the driver is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Open Sign-in options and set up your fingerprint.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ZBook 15 G2 Mobile Workstation

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Please forgive the delay in responding. 

Thank you so much for such great and detailed info. It has been very helpful!

Unfortunately I am still unable to use my fingerprint reader.

All appropriate drivers have been updated and current windows is V1903.

BIOS-HP M70 Ver. 01.25, 8/29/2019

Bio-metrics-Synaptics WBF Fingerprint Driver 4.5.351.0 Rev.A 7/27/2018

Windows Hello Fingerprint is set up to sign in to Windows

Windows Hello PIN is set up to sign in to Windows

Password is set up to sign in to Windows.

Upon start up the only Sign-In options available are Spare-Key or Password.

Again thank you for the help but I am still at a loss as to to how to correct this.

HP Recommended

@Tmadd 

OK.

Try again...

1. Download and save this newer driver
  2. Uninstall the existing driver from the Device Manager
  3. Install the new driver
  4. Restart the computer and log in

sp99759.exe

[Devices]
USB\VID_138A&PID_003d
USB\VID_138A&PID_003f

[Devices_INFPath]
WT64_1809_INFPath=Drivers\WBF_003f_Adv_DRV
WT64_1903_INFPath=Drivers\WBF_003f_Adv_DRV
WT64_1909_INFPath=Drivers\WBF_003f_Adv_DRV
WT64_1809_INFPath=Drivers\WBF_003d_Adv_DRV
WT64_1903_INFPath=Drivers\WBF_003d_Adv_DRV
WT64_1909_INFPath=Drivers\WBF_003d_Adv_DRV

Information files

sp99759.cva

sp99759.html

Basics - Update / install the fingerprint driver

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager 

Open Biometrics

Right-Click on your fingerprint driver > Uninstall

Download-Save the latest fingerprint reader driver

Open File Explorer (formally Windows Explorer)

Navigate to the folder in which you saved the fingerprint driver installation package (likely Downloads)

Double-tap on the installation file to install the driver

After the driver is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Open Sign-in options and set up your fingerprint.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Uninstalled previous then installed newer sp99759.exe but without success. Very frustrating!

20191121_113927.jpg

HP Recommended

@Tmadd 

Edits

In addition to the newer fingerprint driver,

Add Newer Client Security Manager

Depending on the version of Windows 10 you are running, it may be necessary to Update the Client Security Manager software.

I have just installed the following on my Zbook 17 G3 running Windows V1909.

Client Security Manager

sp98508.exe

Client Security Manager - Information Files

sp98508.cva

sp98508.html

Version=9.4.1.2817

[Operating Systems]
WT64_1803=OEM
WT64_1809=OEM
WT64_1903=OEM
WT64_1909=OEM
W732EN=OEM
W764EN=OEM
W732HB=OEM
W764HB=OEM
W732HP=OEM
W764HP=OEM
W732PR=OEM
W764PR=OEM
W732UL=OEM
W764UL=OEM
WTIOT64_1607=OEM
WTIOT64_1809=OEM

===========================================

Try the newer Biometric driver sp99759.exe - Restart the computer and log in

and then add the newer Client Security Manager sp98508.exe  - Restart the computer and log in

===========================================

Previous Post Content

I am assuming the new driver is installing - "uninstall" without having restarted should allow you to install the new driver.

1. Add the step in the Uninstall to include the Delete  of the existing fingerprint driver in the Device Manager
  2. Restart the computer 
  3. Log in using password
  4. Install the new driver
  5. Restart the computer and log in

and / or

Blocked??

Check your Security software to be sure that your security is not blocking the fingerprint login.

Most security software knows to "get out of the way" but not all does so without being told.

For example,

If the security is blocking the login, set the security to allow the fingerprint exception or perhaps set the security software to Delayed start in Services.

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services

Check the login process in the Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Security (wait several seconds for the window to populate).  There should be only "Information" Level notices in this section. 

IN GENERAL, it is best if most logs indicate only "Information" or "Warning" notices - there are exceptions, some things can actually fail and not be considered catastrophic.

Event Viewer - Part Skill and Part Magic

If your curiosity gets the best of you, take a look around in the Event Viewer.  Understand that some of the EV logs and notices are straightforward and other items are obscured in "tech speak". 

If you want to know more, be prepared to have to read about the Event Viewer - how it works, what it does (and can do), what how to use the various facilities.

Two of the many, many examples of articles to explain the Event Viewer:

Lesson 3: Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot Problems

Events and Errors Message Center (Event Viewer Help)

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Still no-go on sign-in however I believe we have progress.

After updating Client Security Manager I am now getting an audible feedback after applying (rolling) my finger over the reader.

That was not happening before.

Unfortunately there is still no option for fingerprint at the sign in screen.

Also I did not see any "warnings" in the Security Services viewer.

HP Recommended

@Tmadd 

Well,  you could try a power / forced reset - I am not seeing any obvious reason to do so, but maybe kicking the boot extra hard on the back side will help.

Forced Restart essentially forces the system to boot from the installed Operating System without regard to what might have been stored in the Fast Boot database (used to quickly restart / boot the computer).  Forced Restart does not impact your files or the Operating System and is safe for a healthy File System.  It is not something you want to do "all the time" - the procedure can help clear the waters, so-to-speak.

“Press and Pray” 

Forced Restart / Boot

If there are boot issues that prevent a complete or clean boot of the Operating System,

IF there is not actually anything wrong with the windows installation or the File System,

Then

1. Unplug everything, including power and all other externally connected components
  2. Press and hold down the power button for thirty (30) to forty (40) seconds
  3. Release the power button
  4. Plug in only basic components needed to start / boot the computer

• Desktop:  Connect Power, wired mouse and keyboard, HDMI to monitor (and monitor is powered on)
  • Notebook:  Connect AC Power

1. Switch on the system with power button - Click power and release (as for normal boot)

Hoped for Results:

• System switches on, monitor active, mouse and keyboard responsive

1. Log in
  2. Connect LAN (Ethernet)
  3. Connect other components (USB, external webcam, speakers...)
  4. General housekeeping (checks, more staring at it)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am out of other ideas for the moment.

There is quite a bit of upheaval recently - Windows V1909 is adding to the chaos a bit.

And

More importantly, it has been awhile since I have really supported the details of the fingerprint logon setup - I might be missing something.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

It was surly worth the try but no-go.

Your time, patience and expertise have been GREATLY appreciated. If something else comes to mind please pass along.

Thank you Dragon-Fur!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.