Tutor
10 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Fingerprint reader not working.

dv7t-6000
Other

Hello,

My notebook is an HP DV7T-6000 CTO Entertainment Notebook that I have upgraded to Windows 10 64 Bit.  The original operating system was Windows 7 Home and the fingerprint reader worked at that time.  After I upgraded to Win. 10 it had stopped working.  I tried to look for a solution but didn't have any luck.  I made an image of my notebook, about 6 months ago and saved it for a later time.  Some time after making the image, I found a way to make my fingerprint reader work again, but didn't save the instructions or the downloads for it.  I know, I'm beating my head against the wall.  Because of suspecious notebook behavior, I reloaded the image I saved and now I can't seem to find a way to make my fingerprint reader work again.  I do remember that it was an updated driver for my laptop that made the fingerprint scanner work again, but I don't remember what the updated version was.  If any of you could help, I will be truly greatfull.  Maybe, at some point, I can stop banging my head against the wall.  

Thank you!

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14709 963 1597
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post

Hi @hspb,

Welcome to the HP Forums :)

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the fingerprint reader doesn't work,

Don’t worry as I have a few steps to help you out,

Here's a related post with a similar issue that seems to have helped others: Click here (Although the header may be different, the steps will solve your concern as well).

Step two: Follow the below steps:

Setting up HP SimplePass

Registering website account credentials in HP SimplePass

Logging on to an HP SimplePass registered website account

Using My LaunchSite to log on to website accounts

Changing HP SimplePass settings

Updating the fingerprint reader drivers and software

Changing your SimplePass

Deleting your SimplePass

For more details: Click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
hspb Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post

I have followed the instructions you sent to me, but I'm running into problems.

Digital Persona:  

When I open the program, I type in my Windows Password and hit Enter.  On the left side of the window, I click on "My Identity" and then click on "Fingerprints" tab.  I click on a finger to enroll and a small window comes up that reads:  "Enrollment Cancelled.  The Fingerprint reader is not installed.  Connect the reader."  My fingerprint reader in built into my laptop, it is not connected through a USB port.

I then tried HP SimplePass:

I open the HP SimplePass program and it loads.  A window reads: "HP SimplePass ... Never forget a password again."  There is more text and then at the bottom of the window there is a clickable button that reads, "Get Started It's Easy."  I click on the button and the program closes.

Is there another driver, for my fingerprint reader, that I may download and try?   In Device Manager I have Biometric Devices under that is the Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0018).  The driver info is as follows.  Driver Provider: Validity Sensors, Inc.  Driver Date 5/18/2011.  Driver Version: 4.3.205.0  I have also tried to update the driver through Windows and the result says that I have the best driver for my device.

Thank you, again, for your help.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14709 963 1597
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post

Hi @

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I would suggest you go ahead and download the latest HP simple pass software, using this link (The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

Once you have installed the software you would need to go ahead and reconfigure the setting from the beginning.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
hspb Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post

Upon installing HP SimplePass, I have encountered a problem.   I get a popup windows that reads, "Setup has detected that AuthenTec Fingerpring Software is installed on the system.  Please Uninstall the software and then run setup again."  I have unstalled the software, from Add/Remove Programs and tried to install again with no luck.  I then looked up to see if i was missing something and this is the website that I followed:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-uninstall-AuthenTec-finge...

after following these steps, I still get the window that Setup has detected that AuthenTec Fingerprint Software is installed on the system.  Is there something that i'm missing on the uninstall?

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14709 963 1597
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post

Hi @hspb,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you are having trouble installing HP Simple pass on your computer, based on the error message, I see that the other program is not uninstalled completely from the PC because of which you are unable to install the HP simple pass.

In this scenario, you could either use an uninstaller to uninstall this program completely or perform a System recovery. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So please backup your files before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails, which means either the partition is corrupted or system file is missing. 

Link to perform System Recovery: Click here

The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation