Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The function keys on my keyboards are working in the opposite manner. Whenever I press any of the keys from F1 to F12 they perform the multimedia actions or their enhanced action. For example, if I press the F2 key the brightness of my laptop screen would lower. It should not work like this. I should be pressing Fn+F2 for the brightness of my screen to lower. The problem here is that I can't use Alt+F4 to close windows because its reversed, I instead have to press Alf+Fn+F4.

I have already search for an answer online and I can only find that NumLock is supposed to be locked. But, it's a laptop - I have no such key. Looking for alternatives if anyone has found a solution.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You Can disable the functionality by disabling "Action Keys Mode" in the BIOS...

Here is the document, that will help you with it... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

I just made an account here because the same thing has been bugging me (and affecting my SCII preformance).

the only working temporary solution I have right now is to use duct tape, and that is an ugly solution.

HP Recommended

You Can disable the functionality by disabling "Action Keys Mode" in the BIOS...

Here is the document, that will help you with it... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Excellent! Worked out fine and function keys are back to normal. Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

I tried switching the BIOS settings, but I still have to press the fn + f1-12 to get the function key to work.  I have the Pavilion dv7 with Windows 7.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Could you double check in the BIOS, if it is disabled...as that is the only switch, that toggles the functionality... if we still have issue, could i get come model number of the unit?

HP Recommended

Perfect! its working fine now.thanks

HP Recommended

This is perfect, thank you very much for the help!

HP Recommended

Hi! I signed up to this website because I have the same problem.

I am using a netbook Samsung N220. My problem is when I switch it on it tells me that Setup is F2 and Recovery is F4, but there is no key for BIOS utility. I tried pressing F10 and even Fn+F10, none of which worked. I also tried pressing other keys which either launched windows or shut the netbook down. Any idea what I could do?

Thank you very much! :generic:

HP Recommended
As a visually impaired computer user, using a screen reader, I'm not able to access the bios. There really should be some key combination that would toggle the state of the function keys. I thought there was one. Seems like I had to do this a few years ago and was able to find the key combo, but if I did, I've forgotten it and can't figure it out. I'm one frustrated customer at the moment.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.