Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

With as popular as this thing seems to be, I'm surprised I haven't found any information on it...

I have a G7-1310us that I would like to upgrade the processor for. Currently, I have a G2 i3-2350M @2.30 GHz, Socket 988B rPGA (information taken from CPU-Z). My BIOS is Insyde F.64, and it has a built-in Intel HD Graphics 3000. For me, heat is not a problem - I use this as a desktop replacement that sometimes wanders, and have not one, but two cooling pads under it. However, if you can provide information for others on processors that stay somewhere in the 35W range, that would be appreciated. Thank you very much to anybody who can help me out!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Page #1 of the 3rd book on the following link will show you a list of supported CPU's:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&document=&product=5218698

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Page #1 of the 3rd book on the following link will show you a list of supported CPU's:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&document=&product=5218698

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Banhien, you seriously rock. Thank you.
HP Recommended
A silly question that just occurred to me: the document was made in 2011, has it been updated with a list of more modern processors that would work, or is the motherboard just limited to the ones listed? I guess what I'm asking, is what's the limiting factor? Is the motherboard designed to handle a quad core mobile processor?
HP Recommended

Unfortunately there is not a more up to date list than this. You are also correct in assuming that the motherboard is limited to just those CPUs. Mostly it comes down to the BIOS. the BIOS makes sure all the other chips, hard drives, ports and CPU function together. If you throw a CPU in there that is not listed as supported in that document, you may run into an issue where the BIOS doesn't know how to handle it properly, therefore I would recommend only using the CPU's listed in that guide. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.