Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G71-449WM
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I currently have Intel core 2 T4300 processor that has gone bad and want to upgrade while I am replacing. Does anyone have that information?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok thanks. Not concerned about Gpu.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

You have the special motherboard for the GL71 that has the Intel GL40 chipset. It only supports Celeron and Pentium Dual processors, not Core 2 Duos. You already have the best processor it will support. 

Just out of curiosity, how did you decide the processor is bad? That is not impossible but it is many times more likely to be the motherboard, regardless of blink or beep codes. 

If you really want to keep that laptop you might want to consider getting the better motherboard and a Core 2 Duo processor. Should not be expensive if you buy from ebay or similar source. 

HP Recommended

Yeah Thanks. Don't think that is the manual for my Notebook Motherboard. My Board is identified as 578703.001 W/ Intel Dual Core T4300 2.1GHz  800ghz fsb. Air inlet to fan clogged and overheated and now will not turn on. Tries to, but will not. Immediatelly cuts off. No scorching on processor. New HD and runs 4G of Ram as top amount. This manual looks to be for another board.  HP G71-449WM .   Was hoping Intel T9900 would work Has PGA478 Socket same as mine.

HP Recommended

Look under the memory in the slot and see if the motherboard part number is there:

Intel GL40, HDMI 513757-001

This Manual does not include a T4300 but does include a T4200 so I am pretty sure it is your Manual. In all cases, the models that used Celeron/Pentium Dual processors used a board different than ones with Core 2 Duos. You can try the T9900 but you did not need to come here to figure out the socket is the same. You can also run CPU-Z to check if yours has the GL40 chipset and that would confirm it does not support Core 2 Duos.  

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. Yes I did get the MB number from underneath the memory slots and it is 578703.001. I did find the exact Maintenance and Service manual online last night. Even HP lists my processor as T4300 from factory and that is exactly what I have.  In the manual I found, my Notebook does support and have a core 2 processor and I found that I will be able to upgrade to  Intel P8700 (3M cache, 2.53 ghz. 1066mhz fsb). I appreciate your time and effort to resolve this problem. Any ideas on why it will not start? When power button is pressed, the lights come on for about 1 second and then goes out. The light at the charging port remains on and it is a new AC charger. So I feel something is wrong with the Processor. Also, the fan does start for that split second and then stops also. Hate to have to replace everything.

HP Recommended

Also: I tried contacting HP for information and got none but referral to this site. I'm trying to resolve this before having to get another Notebook as this has been  a really good PC and I wish to keep if at all possible. Also, I'm not Computer literate as some when it comes to Hardware failure as some others, but you have certainly steered me in the right direction and feeling more positive that I can get this resolved. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

That number you gave for the motherboard is not the HP Part number. Did you look inside the memory bay? Can you link the other Manual you found so I can look at it and be sure it is going to support the Core 2 Duo? No ofense, I have been doing this for years and I am just trying to avoid your buying something that is not going to work. As I said initially, odds are it is a bad motherboard but the odds that it is a processor problem go up significantly if the root cause was overheating. It would not be unusual for both the motherboard and processor to get fried, however. 

HP Recommended

That is the proper number 578703.001 Says it in a couple of places.  G71-449WM  Product WA606UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Sorry I've been putting a dot instead of a dash  578703-001

HP Recommended

That is specifically a GL40 chipset motherboard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-G71-Compaq-CQ71-Series-Intel-GL40-Motherboard-578703-001-Tested-Free-Ship...

It is not compatible with Core 2 Duo processors:

http://ark.intel.com/products/35501/Intel-82GL40-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller-Hub#@specifications

Some have reported that Core 2 Duos witll work but certain functions are crippled and it may not work at the correct clock speed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.