Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Omen by HP-17t-an100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently decided to upgrade my HP Omen 17t laptop.  It had 8 gigs of RAM, a 1 tb HDD, and 16gigs of intel optane.  I was successful in removing the optane and installed a samsung evo 970 M.2 SSD.  I got windows to recognize the SSD and Cloned the HDD.  My hope was to get the laptop to boot from the ssd, but when I go into the BIOS i dont even see the SSD.  AM I going about this all wrong?  Is it even possible to do this? 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@TotalN00B , welcome to the forum.

Did you use Samsung's Migration software, installed on the hard drive, to clone the hard drive?  If so, did it ask for the Target drive and list the EVO 970?

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@old_geekster

Thank you and yes I used Samsung migration software everything works perfectly on it, I just wanted the laptop to boot from the SSD.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @TotalN00B!

If you were able to clone the HDD to the SSD it should show in the BIOS.  Did you check in the Boot Order section of the BIOS?  You would have to set the SSD as the first boot.

HP Recommended

Windows recognizes it but it still doesn't show in the bios.  When I got into the boot section this is the list that I get. There is no selection for anything else, I can only change the order.IMG_20191113_183305.jpg

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @TotalN00B!

Does the SSD appear in Disk Management (Right click Start and select Disk Management)?  You might try disconnecting the hard drive (HDD) to see if this helps.

HP Recommended

Yes it does. It is Disk 0 and it is drive E and FIMG_20191114_181601 (2).jpg

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @TotalN00B!

I suggest that you right click on the E: drive and select "Mark Partition as Active".  Once this is done, you can try to clone the HDD to the SSD again to see what happens.  It isn't going to cause any problems because the system won't boot from the SSD at this point.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.