Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Braveh767......there is no possible upgrade. The video chip is soldered right on the motherboard. You cannot remove it you cannot replace it you cannot upgrade it. 

HP Recommended

i have a hp pavilion dv7t 700 quad edition entertainment notebook pc ,can i have an extenal graphic card for it

HP Recommended

It is amazing to me how persistent these questions are. External graphics cards are avilable but they are only for the purpose of adding additional monitors, not for gaming. With consumer laptops you are stuck with the graphics it was shipped with.

HP Recommended

It should not be even remotely amazing to you.

Stop thinking you are more intelligent than the frustrated posters (you are not even remotely; you can probably even wear a standard-size adjustable baseball cap... meaning evolution has passed you by -- oops, let me guess, you're so smart you aren't even aware of epigenetics and the reason the last two generations are so much taller on average than you?).

What you should be thinking is: these valued customers are really irritated and bewildered that they can't upgrade their gpu.  That they can't upgrade is just another example of incredible short sightedness on the part of hp.  The company should be alerted to this.  Proprietary and closed systems are just more symptoms of too-big-too-fall fail syndrome.

A parallel example: It took me 2 hours to install a new fan into my dv7-4073ca (yes, I'm Canadian, hence the education based on meritocracy and not admission via extracurriculars; my degrees are real).  I had to take apart the entire laptop to do so (and repaste the heat sink).  And I could not even upgrade to a better fan.  That is inexcusable.

I came here looking for how to upgrade my gpu and I get your attitude?

The fact that the gpu and fan are not easily accessible or modular in nature is ridiculous.  Imagine someone having to reinstall Windows every time they added or upgraded a new piece of software (Photoshop).  Not only is modular better for customer retention and the environment (your "you're stuck with our disposable crap until you buy another newer piece of our crippleware crap so just live with it and stop complaining and asking the same stupid questions" mentality is insane), the lack of such functionality shows hp isn't even aware of what car companies have known for years -- aftermarket parts bring in 60-75% of overall profits. 

People also replace/upgrade parts of their cars, their homes, their wardrobes, etc.  Wow, they must be crazy to expect that of their computer (and stupid too).  Even funnier, you probably support open source software (like, say, Firefox) but defend closed source manufacturing.  Logic is good.

Screens, gpus, cpu cores, motherboards, keyboards (backlit request above, gaming keyboard instead of the crappy accounting/multilingual keyboard in my case), power supplies and sound cards should all be modular and upgradeable in a laptop.

Your condescension/disdain/arrogance is a complete joke (considering the source).  Stop mocking hp's customer base.  Are you enjoying this post yourself?

-- Scott Hutcheon (hp owner now looking for a modular laptop manufacturer)

HP Recommended

I have a graphics card that is toast and can't even fix it. So, I guess be happy that yours is still working. Mine is just a disposable oversized paperweight. They should start building laptops more like desktops and make the components changeable. Instead of making everything dedicated hardware.

HP Recommended

Mr. Hutcheon, I'm sad to say I'm a Canadian as well following your little rant ! I've been in the PC business for over 15 years myself and it's been seen for years the slow transition from old style modulor laptop builds of past(IBM, Toshiba, Acer)to the all-in-1 throwaways of today's cheap laptops. It's gotten even worse to the point that I've seen built-in to the design life expentancy of specific models. Toshiba has created a laptop specifically marketed through Walmart Canada that has no heatsink on the vid chip. These models, if they last more than a year, is bonus for the consumer. HP's, along with all other laptop manufacturers, would rather create the cheap-to-market quick profit models that last no more than 18 to 24 months. The big Corps can't make profit on laptops that last 3 years or more ! To those computer users in both Canada and the USA who have come to completely misunderstand the technology in front of them, get a grip and get knowledgable about the product in front of them. There are only 4 things you can change on a laptop: add more memory(brands put a cap on this as well), put in a bigger hard drive(storage), depending on model, higher resolution LCD/LED screen, and lastly, change the OS, depending on make and model !

To anyone reading this forum, educate yourself about the product you're going to buy before you buy it. Can it be upgraded? What are it's options? Is it expandable(dock station)? What is it's repairability ? Is repairing/upgrading better value than replacing  or vice versa? An educated consumer is a smart consumer. Don't know what is in front of you, then you deserve to waste your money on the cheap-to-buy now models instead of buying the better quality, higher  grade models with better options. I remember when a base model laptop was $4000 and that came without ethernet, without wireless, even without a modem! If you wanted all the bells and whistles, a laptop could run you over $7G ! You get what you pay for these days. Pay $300 for a laptop, you get a $300 laptop. You want a gaming system, be prepared to spend $1500 to $2500 on a quality kickass unit that has replaceable graphics card(Alienware). Better yet, you want to game on a PC, buy a **bleep** tower with an actual replacable graphics card, don't buy a laptop to game with !

IT Professional
CompTiA A+ Certified
Microsoft Certified
HP Recommended

ahaha hutcheson that was hilarious.  Extra points for mentioning epigenetic memory and corporate greed.  These HR/Marketing/Exec genetically stupid types are so morally bankrupt and a disease upon society and their own organizations that they will destroy the entire world if everyone doesn't wise up to their pathetic schemes.  

It is true that power and heat requirements in a tightly designed laptop might have limits, but the simple solution is to design them to handle more powerful components.  It's funny because they can use game theory to not one up each other in terms of quality and reliability, but when it comes to not destroying everything good in the world they can't reason like that in the world.  

HP Recommended

I realize this is an older thread... and one that probably to some can be irritating that people ask... but:

"It is amazing to me how persistent these questions are. External graphics cards are avilable but they are only for the purpose of adding additional monitors, not for gaming. With consumer laptops you are stuck with the graphics it was shipped with."

So, to the statement about external graphics cards are available but only for the purpose of adding additional monitors, can you tell me where to find or how to search for one that would fit my HP Pavilion Dv7 4267cl that has the switchable graphics 

ATI Mobility Radeon HD4250

AMD Radeon HD6370

I am NOT a gamer. Although I would like my graphics to work enough to play Microsoft Solitaire without going so slow.... but my issue is that I have an external monitor that the laptop no longer recognizes... and so will no install as an extension of the laptop monitor. I use it for bookkeeping and taxes and it helps to have a second extended monitor to move around all the documents and programs used at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Thanks for putting this guy in his place!!

Brtus65

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.