Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion G070ca
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am just curious as to what graphics cards I can install in my laptop. I have the HP pavilion G070ca 17inch laptop, it currently uses an intel I7-5500u and a nvidia GT940m. I would like to upgrade to probably the 970 or 980 just wanting to know if those are compatiable with my laptop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

There are no removable or upgradable graphics cards in your notebook.

The nvidia GT940m GPU is integrated into the motherboard and the only way to upgrade the graphics would be to replace the entire motherboard with one listed in the service manual for your model notebook that may have better graphics.

This would be a very costly and labor intensive project.

Better to sell your notebook and get one with the graphics solution you want.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

There are no removable or upgradable graphics cards in your notebook.

The nvidia GT940m GPU is integrated into the motherboard and the only way to upgrade the graphics would be to replace the entire motherboard with one listed in the service manual for your model notebook that may have better graphics.

This would be a very costly and labor intensive project.

Better to sell your notebook and get one with the graphics solution you want.

HP Recommended

Paul could you give me some advice. Would like to see if I could install GL2 drivers on my dv7t-1000. Have win 10 installed.

My driver hw id is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_30F4103C&REV_07

Is it possible? thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't know what GL2 drivers are.

The hardware ID you posted is for the Intel graphics adapter used on the mobile intel series 4 chipset.

W10 should have installed the driver for that automatically, and if it didn't, you can use the W7 Intel graphics driver from your notebook's support and driver page.

The driver may have to be manually installed if the auto install doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Says the drivers are up to date. I am looking for open GL2. Don't know if this chipset will support it.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that I would not know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.