Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HDD Password on HP Spectre x360

HP Spectre x360 13-w003ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a HP Spectre x360 13-w003ng and for security reasons in case of loss or theft I would like to encrypt the SSD with a password. Most premium devices have a HDD password option in the BIOS. Unfortunately, I couldn't find that option in the BIOS of this device. Does that mean it is not possible to set such a password on this particular notebook?

5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
44525 44261 3319 13908
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Every HP laptop I have ever owned has the option to set a power on or administrator password in BIOS. Under Security you should find the settings.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Tyr0ne Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's true, but does that really encrypt the drive itself as well? Is it impossible to access the drive without the password even if I remove the drive and hook it up to another computer?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
44525 44261 3319 13908
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, it does not encrypt the hdd. If you are running Windows 10 Pro you could use MS builtin encryption.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Tyr0ne Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Too bad, that's what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, the device only came with Win10 Home.

0 Kudos
Home_Engineer Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I asked HP support about this. No success though. I also have a new Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 which does has a bios HDD password option as standard, so informed HP that their security on the Spectre is relatively poor. All that is required is a bios update with the HDD password option, if only HP would write and release it. Basic stuff and very poor that such an expensive laptop does not have this as standard.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation